Sign in to follow this  

business apps

This topic is 4384 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

If I were to want to get into building busniess apps, what kind of things would I need to get myself familiar with in order to make anything useful that either hasn't been done yet or an interesting spin on something that has been done? I've been primarily...well pretty much exclusively...into game programming and was just wondering what kind of things need to be done to make the transition. Thanks for any advice. -AJ

SiCrane is right - there are ALOT of things you can do. There's enterprise applications / system development, web development, there are client / server apps, there are stand-alone client apps, etc. Different types of these requires a different set of knowledge on the specific technologies.

If you want to get into web development / enterprise applications, you can start by learning something like ASP.NET w/ C# or VB.NET. I would also spend ALOT of time learning the ins and outs of SQL for this - SQL is very heavily used in system development. System development is also where you can make a lot of $$$.

If you want to to do stand-alone applications, then pick up C# and winforms and start making little applications. Even here you would want to learn as much about SQL as possible, although it isn't as heavily used as say in an enterprise application. And, of course, there is tons of software out there that doesn't even use SQL or databases.

If you wanted to do something with client / server, you could code a console application in C# or C++... then write a thin client in C# / winforms, and have them communicate with each other. Again, SQL is used here, although again, not as heavily as system development. I'd say no matter what you do, DROWN yourself in SQL.

There's lots of different things you can do. I'm not exactly an expert though, but I don't believe I've given any false advice. Good luck on whatever you do.

PS - your best bet is to get familiar with everything. The more you can put on your resume, the better. ALL of these use the same basic set of problem solving skills - once you learn how to really solve any problem that comes up, learning new technologies (like a language, or whatever) is the easy part. Don't take this too literally though - just because you are a good client / server programmer, doesn't mean you can become a systems analyst / developer overnight. You could however learn to use a new programming language overnight.

PS2- don't take any specific language I said to heart - you dont HAVE to learn ASP.NET to do web development, and you don't have to use C# to make windows applications. There are lots of options available.

Well, I didn't exactly have anything specific in mind. It's just that since I've been primarily involved with game programming I thought I would just get an idea of what I might need to know if I were to go into the business application realm of things. I kind of figured SQL would be one of those things. I just want to have a broad base of knowledge of things so that I can adapt to any situation.

-AJ

This topic is 4384 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.