image = SDL_DisplayFormat( SDL_LoadBMP( "player2.bmp" ) )

Started by
5 comments, last by Atash 18 years, 4 months ago
Okay, here's a bit of a problem: image = SDL_DisplayFormat(SDL_LoadBMP("player2.bmp")); image is an SDL_Surface pointer, and player2.bmp is, well, the obvious, but that doesn't really matter. I'm using Dev-C++ under the MingW compiler, creating an SDL based pong for starters. From the above code, I'm recieving the error message: 39 C:\Documents and Settings\Masood.SOLTANMM.000\Desktop\main.c no match for 'operator=' in '((Paddle*)this)->Paddle::image = SDL_DisplayFormat(SDL_LoadBMP_RW(SDL_RWFromFile(((const char*)"player1.bmp"), ((const char*)"rb")), 1))' and a note: note C:\Program Files\Dev-Cpp\include\SDL\SDL_video.h:95 candidates are: SDL_Surface& SDL_Surface::operator=(const SDL_Surface&) Anyone out there willing to help me out a bit, possibly explain to me why it isn't working? Or do I first need to put down my entire source code? Thanks in advance!
*After Argument*P1: What was it about?P2: Something involving a chair, a cat, and a rubber ducky...
Advertisement
It might help to split out the two function calls

bmp = SDL_LoadBMP("player2.bmp")
image = SDL_DisplayFormat(bmp);

so that you can pinpoint which call fails - or rather which part of the statement won't compile.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Quote:Original post by LessBread

That and the current way you are doing it will leak memory since you do not free the surface returned from SDL_LoadBMP(). In addition, SDL_LoadBMP is a macro, so placing it inside a function call might cause it to fail. Doing it LessBread's way should work, as long as image is indeed a SDL_Surface*.
okay, posting in real-time right now...

I've just tried what you said, and I got an error only on the SDL_DisplayFormat() part.

Annnnnnnnnddddddddd...

Looked in the API, saw nothing wrong with the format... Buuutttt...

If I had not created a surface that has been set to be the video buffer (screen = SDL_SetVideoMode()) before that statement... I think I found the problem:

/*This is going to be pong. Tetris comes later*/#include <stdio.h>#include <stdlib.h>#include <SDL/SDL.h>const int MAX_PLAYERS = 4;SDL_Surface *screen = NULL;class ball{      int posX;      int posY;      public:}class Paddle{      int posX;      int posY;      int keycheck[];      SDL_Surface image;      public:             Paddle(int playNumber);             int getX() {return posX;}             int getY() {return posY;}             void setX(int x) {posX = x;}             void setY(int y) {posY = y;}             void drawANDcheck();                          };Paddle::Paddle(int playNumber){                switch(playNumber)                {                       case 1:                            posX = 10;                            posY = 250;                            //image = SDL_DisplayFormat(SDL_LoadBMP("player1.bmp"));                            SDL_Surface *bmp = SDL_LoadBMP("player1.bmp");                            image = SDL_DisplayFormat(bmp);                            break;                       case 2:                            posX = 580;                            posY = 250;                            image = SDL_DisplayFormat(SDL_LoadBMP("player2.bmp"));                            break;                       case 3:                            posX = 250;                            posY = 580;                            image = SDL_DisplayFormat(SDL_LoadBMP("player3.bmp"));                            break;                       case 4:                            posX = 250;                            posY = 10;                            image = SDL_DisplayFormat(SDL_LoadBMP("player4.bmp"))                            break;                }}/*void Paddle::drawANDcheck(){     SDL_Rect *dst;     SDL_BlitImage();}*/int main(int argc, char *argv[]){    bool running = true;    if(SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO | SDL_INIT_TIMER) == -1)    {                                return 0;    }atexit (SDL_Quit);screen = SDL_SetVideoMode(600, 600, 32, SDL_HWSURFACE|SDL_DOUBLEBUF);

...blahblahblah

Okay, just fixed that by putting the entire SetVideoMode thing at the top of my source...

Still got the same error.

I feel cofused >_<
*After Argument*P1: What was it about?P2: Something involving a chair, a cat, and a rubber ducky...
Quote:Original post by Atash
Still got the same error.

I feel cofused >_<

SDL_Surface image;

needs to be:

SDL_Surface *image;

In your Paddle class.
Quote:Original post by LessBread

bmp = SDL_LoadBMP("player2.bmp")
image = SDL_DisplayFormat(bmp);

so that you can pinpoint which call fails - or rather which part of the statement won't compile.

In addition you might want to add error checking
bmp = SDL_LoadBMP("player2.bmp");if (NULL == bmp)    // output an error message here and exit the functionimage = SDL_DisplayFormat(bmp);if (NULL == image)    // output an error message// also don't forget to free the memory associated with bmp
Oh...

Oops.

THANKS!!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement