Sign in to follow this  

Theoratical question on Light (Sun&moon) Heightmap Terrain

This topic is 4377 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there im implementing a RTS Terrain engine, i wanted to know your opinions on lighting. I have it all implemented and its nice, it uses the ANGLE between the direction of the lighting and the normal to calculate the brightness. So is it natuaral in a Sunshine or moon scene to have directional light instead of positional, because in reality the sun is so far away it can be considered directional. What would be the correct way to go about it, i kinda like the effect of having the sun at a specific spot because the shadows make the outline of a circumfrence. What is your opinion on the subject, also the higher the sun the less shadow occlusion there is. Now Shadows are nice and add realism so it would be nice if the mountains could cast there shadow a little distance.

Most people tend to use directional lights for the sun and moon.
If they weren't, there wouldn't be any directional light equation described in papers etc, at all, since there are NO directional light sources in nature.

Disclaimer: There might be some strange physical phenomena at the end of the universe, but nothing on earth or seen from earth is an infinite plane of light.

This topic is 4377 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.