Sign in to follow this  

Dev-Cpp/Direct X errors

This topic is 4383 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I'm new to the gaming world, and just finished reading a book on C++ game programming. I recently picked up the book "Beginning DirectX game programming", and have come across a problem. When I try to compile any of the example source code, I get errors such as: d3dx9tex.h: No such file or directory D:\chapter3\example3\winmain.cpp In file included from D:\chapter3\example3\winmain.cpp I've installed microsoft's sdk, but maybe incorrectly. I have done some research, and my compiler, Dev-C++, seems to be giving alot of people this problem. I have also read several accounts where people get it to work. Please help me get my compiler up and running, or if you know of a FREE (This meens I can't afford Microsoft's expensive compiler) compiler that will run directX, that works as well. I am brand new to the computer coding world, so please don't use any big words or screwy acronyms. Thank you for your help!!

Thanks for the link.
I installed the new compiler and connected it to the SDK files, like the install told me to.
When I tried to compile the example program, it told me that it couldn't find windows.h, so I connected to the Dev-C++ include file, and that solved the problem, but now it tells me "c:\dev-cpp\include\stdarg.h(6) : fatal error C1021: invalid preprocessor command 'include_next'" and opens a new window reading

#ifndef RC_INVOKED
#include_next<stdarg.h>
#endif

What do I do now??

The express editions don't come with the "Platform SDK" as far as I'm aware. It's a free download from here (don't be put off by the name though!) - once you've got that up and running you should be set to go.

Headers that ship with a compiler tend to be tailored to its use - which is probably why you're getting problems using DevCPP files with VC.

hth
Jack

I tried downloading the platform SDK like you suggested, but it made Dev-C++ MUCH worse (over 20 random sensless errors) and didn't change the microsoft VC++ error message at all.

This topic is 4383 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.