Sign in to follow this  

MUD game

This topic is 4376 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys, As some of you may know, i would like to make an MMORPG. I know that you can't just make the second world of warcraft right off the bat, so i'd like to start simple. What i want to do is program a VERY simple MUD text game, where 2 or 3 players can go around in a small room. Can anyone give me any tips, tutorials, etc. on this? Thanks Happy holidays =) Mike

If you aren't very experience in programming, I would probably not recommend making a MUD, unless you enjoy starting over many times.

Learn some about making servers and clients. Perhaps make a chat program, so multiple people can chat. Then separate it so that the users start in a certain channel and allow them to switch. After this you can probably build in transitions between channels (and rename them rooms) along with messages that are printed when the join a channel (which can be repeated by typing 'look' [smile]). That should get you started and it doesn't involve any gaming, monsters, items, or other headaches of an online game.

MUDs traditionally run on really crappy machines. It shouldn't be a problem. If you have a spare box sitting around and a broadband connection, you have a mud server. I suggest using a service like dyndns as well.

I've got it, and it was a fun read, especially the parts on game design. But the code was... horrible and hacky. A no-buyer unless you like reading it for the fun, with no serious intentions of learning from the code.

This topic is 4376 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.