MUD game

Started by
5 comments, last by Sijmen 18 years, 4 months ago
Hey guys, As some of you may know, i would like to make an MMORPG. I know that you can't just make the second world of warcraft right off the bat, so i'd like to start simple. What i want to do is program a VERY simple MUD text game, where 2 or 3 players can go around in a small room. Can anyone give me any tips, tutorials, etc. on this? Thanks Happy holidays =) Mike
Advertisement
If you aren't very experience in programming, I would probably not recommend making a MUD, unless you enjoy starting over many times.

Learn some about making servers and clients. Perhaps make a chat program, so multiple people can chat. Then separate it so that the users start in a certain channel and allow them to switch. After this you can probably build in transitions between channels (and rename them rooms) along with messages that are printed when the join a channel (which can be repeated by typing 'look' [smile]). That should get you started and it doesn't involve any gaming, monsters, items, or other headaches of an online game.
Are expenses a problem for MUD games, cause i, erm... don't really have any money. To answer BBB's question, i have a huge amount of experience with text games - but not with OpenGL.

MUDs traditionally run on really crappy machines. It shouldn't be a problem. If you have a spare box sitting around and a broadband connection, you have a mud server. I suggest using a service like dyndns as well.
Cool, thanks
There is a book I saw on amazon called MUD GAME PROGRAMMING by By Ron Penton.

There is nothing able to be imagined by one man that can not be achieved by many - Jules Verne
I've got it, and it was a fun read, especially the parts on game design. But the code was... horrible and hacky. A no-buyer unless you like reading it for the fun, with no serious intentions of learning from the code.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement