GunPowder Nomads

Started by
3 comments, last by Sloner 18 years, 4 months ago
Hey folks, I'm a first-time poster here. I've been coming to this site and reading the articles and forums for months, but haven't posted until now. For my website design class, I didn't want to do an average website, since that'd be way too easy, so I decided to make a sort of browser-based RPG. Wizards and warriors aren't my bag, so I decided to go with a western theme, since I can never get enough of old Clint Eastwood westerns. The website is called GunPowder Nomads. I finished the architecture of the site last week shortly before turning it in. I haven't populated the databases with much content yet. The interaction is based on "encounters" where you are presented with a proposition and are given a few choices. Different choices are better for different players, as each choice has an attribute and minimum value associated with it. Possible future expansions include: -PVP interaction via a bounty system (post a bounty on a player, and someone else can come collect it--a good way to pick on your enemies if you can afford it) -Multi-tiered encounters. Each choice leads to another choice till you reach the end. -I know there were a couple others, but it's a little late, and they're escaping me at present. The current class artwork is temporary. The brawler is the only one with proper artwork. The "attribute" icons will probably stay the same, but won't be the current black-and-white color. Anyhow, the address is: http://gpn.slonersoft.com
Advertisement
Well, I mucked around with this and it's not bad at all imo :)

I picked gunslinger to start and rapidly lost all my money, so, at this early stage, it would have been nice to be able to start again with another character but, every time I log in, I'm still a gunslinger :(

All in all, realising there's still a lot to add to it and tweak, it's a good start, well done :)
I just gave you some more silver :-) I need to increase the beginning amount of silver. I was also trying to come up with a way for people to periodically get a little more money, so that running out of money wasn't such a devastating situation.

Because of the number of database entries associated with each user, it's tough to give the option to start over, but I'll look into that.

I also noticed that you're the only one who's used his skill points. I should probably point out that they should be used up before trying to play.
Hey, thanks! :)

Quote:I also noticed that you're the only one who's used his skill points.

Seeing as I am familiar with these kinda games anyway, it was obvious that I should distribute the skill points prior to play although, to the unfamiliar, it is indeed not so obvious what needs to be done.

I successfully completed 2 encounters (eventually), but I notice they are still there as an option to do and, when you attempt them again, it comes back with 'Bad encounter ID'...no worries at present anyway because, as you say, the databases have still to be filled with content, therefore, I am assuming this will not happen when they are complete.

Quote:....it's tough to give the option to start over, but I'll look into that.

I think it would help, particulary if one actually manages to complete a game with one character (or gets fed-up with it), it would be nice to do it again with another character and therefore, hopefully, have a different game experience.

There's certainly a lot still to be done but, so far, I think it's very interesting and I'll be keeping an eye on how you are progressing with it!, good luck! :)

site clicky
Hmmm...when you complete an encounter, it's supposed to store that you've completed it and never show it again. I'll have to look into your table entries to see what went wrong. Thanks for the input :-)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement