Java/c++, use singletons for global classes?

Started by
9 comments, last by hplus0603 18 years, 4 months ago
Hi, using the languages c++,java... I was wondering if I should use singletons for classes that need to be accessed globally? eg Timer, Mouse, Keyboard, Data(if data-centred). If not, what would you do to allow access to these kinds of classes that need to be accessed globally? Thanks
Advertisement
if i understand correctly you want objects that can be accessed by any file in the source code. method 1 is using externs in C++ but I hate externd and method 2 is best (C++):

in Utilities.h:
#prgama onceclass Utilities{   public:      static Mouse _mouse;      static Keyboard _Keyboard;      static Timer _timer;      static void Update(void); //if needed to update the static objects:};

in Utilities.cpp:
#include "Utilities.h"Mouse Utilities::_mouse;Keyboard Utilities::_Keyboard;Timer Utilities::_timer;void Utilities::Update(void){     //update the mouse , timer and keyboard here}

now in any file u can access the objects:
by first including Uitlities.h then:

lets say you want to check the mouse:

if(Utilities::_mouse.IsClick())
{
//do something
}

I hope i understood what you wanted.
I've used externs like that before, but I want to use the same style of code for java aswell. I'm not sure but I don't think java does anything like extern.

I think some people would frown upon using static classes, im not sure why though.
Thanks
Method 2 using static members requires declaration and definition of all data members.
You can get rid of the static parts when using a class instance like this:
in utils.h:#ifndef UTILS_H#define UTILS_Hstruct Utils {  Mouse mouse;  Keyboard keyboard;};static inlineUtils& getUtils() {  extern Utils utils;  return utils;}#endifin utils.cc:Utils utils;

You may also want to search for 'singleton' pattern.
Often I just use namespaces...

header:
namespace SomeSingletonSortaThing{	extern int some_property0;	extern std::string some_property1;	extern std::string some_property2;		int some_method0();	int some_method1( std::string const& text );}

source:
namespace SomeSingletonSortaThing{	int some_property0;	std::string some_property1;	std::string some_property2;}int SomeSingletonSortaThing::some_method0(){	return 42;}int SomeSingletonSortaThing::some_method1( std::string const& text ){	return 84;}

hmm, i really think static class members is the way to go.
externs need to be extrned in every file.
namespacing is also good .. but the reason i use static members is managing them is easy (maybe for me).
Quote:I'm not sure but I don't think java does anything like extern.

Java doesn't need anything like extern as unlike C++ it doesn't need header files and you don't have to declare something before you can use it in a translation unit.

Personally I'd just have a global pointer to an instance of the class. That way if you decide you want to have several instances of the class for some reason things will be easier to modify.
Quote:Original post by Monder
Quote:I'm not sure but I don't think java does anything like extern.

Java doesn't need anything like extern as unlike C++ it doesn't need header files and you don't have to declare something before you can use it in a translation unit.

Personally I'd just have a global pointer to an instance of the class. That way if you decide you want to have several instances of the class for some reason things will be easier to modify.

Monder's right. If you can think of any reason that you'd want multiple instances of a class, use a singleton pattern in Java. But, if you are certain you'll never need more than 1 instance, Java has static methods/fields.
public class Test {public static void doSomething();}

Then from any point within your project, import Test and call:
Test.doSomething();  // Notice left-side of the . operator is not an instance of an object, but a class name.

I suggest you limit your use of globals regardless of which technique used to implement them. People tend to access globals when they need them, in any context, coupling more code than necessary.

For instance:

class UpdateContext{  const Timer& m_timer;  const Keyboard& m_keyboard;  const Mouse& m_mouse;  ...};class RenderContext{  RenderMgr& m_render_mgr;  Camera& m_camera;};void Update(const UpdateContext& context){  ...}void Render(const RenderContext& context){  ...}

Hi, this is the way I made my C++ game engine global.

// ENGINELIBRARY.H//include common library headers//..//include API specific headers//..//include engine specific headers#include "Graphics.h"#include "Sound.h"#include "Input.h"#include "Network.h"//lastly include the engine core#include "MyEngine.h"

// MYENGINE.Hclass MYENGINE{public:MYENGINE();~MYENGINE();GRAPHICS graphics;SOUND sound;INPUT input;NETWORK network;};extern MYENGINE *engine;

// MYENGINE.CPPMYENGINE *engine = NULL;MYENGINE::MYENGINE(){    //Initialize engine components    //graphics.Initialize(...)    //yada yada...}MYENGINE::~MYENGINE(){    //shutdown components...}

Then all the files that include "EngineLibary.h" have access to the engine. Just be sure call engine = new MYENGINE() before using it. To access any component just call engine->graphics, engine->input, etc...

Hope this helps.
Most of our obstacles would melt away if, instead of cowering before them, we should make up our minds to walk boldly through them.- Orison Swett Marden

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement