Sign in to follow this  

Build GCC4.0.2 on Mandrake 8.0

This topic is 4383 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

OK, so i've downloaded the sources for GCC4.0.2. When i ran ./Configure everything seemed to perfom well, but when i ran 'make' i get the folowing build error 'No rule to maketarget '..build-i686-pc-linux-gnu/libiberty/libiberty.a, needed by build/genmodes'. The thing that i suspect is that i performed the first stage in the same directory as the gcc source files...Does this matter ? I must confess it's the first time i am working on Linux so my knowledge is very poore......;) THX a lot!

Quote:

The thing that i suspect is that i performed the first stage in the same directory as the gcc source files...Does this matter ?
I must confess it's the first time i am working on Linux so my knowledge is very poore......;)

It could be. I've had the gcc build system break on some less lested platforms, but I don't think it would break on i686 Linux. Try deleting the GCC source folder, re-extracting the source files, then building in a separate directory. It's really simple:

mkdir gcc-build
cd gcc-build
../gcc-4.0.2/configure
make

Guest Anonymous Poster
GCC 4 requires a pretty recent version of binutils, which Mandrake 8.0 almost surely won't have, so you'll need to build a new version of that first.

Unless you know what you're doing, I don't recommend building binutils and gcc yourself. It might appear fairly simple, but there are quite a few subtleties that the distribution packagers take care of for you. Why don't you just upgrade to Mandriva 10.0 or something else where GCC 4 is included?

This topic is 4383 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.