Sign in to follow this  

Help with sprites2...

This topic is 4381 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I got my sprite to transform correctly, but I'm having trouble getting the alpha to blend properly. I've got a proper texture that has transparency. I set color to white on the draw method for the sprite. My other problem is that I set the sprite to 0,0,0 and it looks great when I spin my view around and everything. But when I set SpriteFlags.Billboard on the Sprite.Begin method the sprite completely dissapears. Frustrated with sprites, Devin

I'm guessing that you're using C#, but the C++ API is probably similar, so:

For alphablending, have you passed the C# equivalent of D3DXSPRITE_ALPHABLEND to Sprite.Begin()?

For billboarding, have you called the C# equivalent of ID3DXSprite::SetWorldViewLH or ID3DXSprite::SetWorldViewRH first before rendering?

OK, I'm about to go crazy. I can't for the life of me figure out what's wrong with the alpha. I've checked the texture and it's good. I've checked all the settings and I see nothing wrong there. Is there something with sprites that I'm missing? My other draw funcs in my render loop draw with alpha blending, it's just the sprite that wont go alpha!!!

Here's what I have set for render states:

[source lang=c#]     
this.device.RenderState.SourceBlend = Blend.SourceAlpha; //set the source to be the source's alpha
this.device.RenderState.DestinationBlend = Blend.InvSourceAlpha; //set the destination to be the inverse of the source's alpha
this.device.RenderState.AlphaBlendEnable = true; //enable this.texture = TextureLoader.FromFile(device, "tex.bmp");

and here's what I have set to render the sprite:

[source lang=c#]
public void Draw()
{
this.surfacesprite.sprite.SetWorldViewLH(this.device.Transform.World, this.device.Transform.View);
this.surfacesprite.sprite.Begin(SpriteFlags.AlphaBlend | SpriteFlags.ObjectSpace | SpriteFlags.Billboard | SpriteFlags.SortDepthBackToFront);
foreach (Vector3 pos in this.SpritePositions)
this.surfacesprite.DrawModulated(pos, 45f);
this.surfacesprite.sprite.End();
}

public void DrawModulated(Vector3 position, float angle)
{
if ((CurrentTexture + 1) == NumberOfTextures)
CurrentTexture = 0;
else CurrentTexture += 1;
SurfaceTexture tex = surfacetextures[CurrentTexture];
this.sprite.Draw(tex.texture, tex.center, position, Color.White.ToArgb());

}

The sdk docs for alphablend arg says this:

Enables alpha blending with RenderStateManager.AlphaTestEnable set to true (for nonzero alpha). SourceAlpha is the source blend state, and InvSourceAlpha is the destination blend state in calls to RenderStateManager. The Font class requires this flag to be set when drawing text.

This topic is 4381 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.