Sign in to follow this  

Urgent Question

This topic is 4376 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How does 3D compare with 2D as far as dev. times goes? I'm asking this because I"m currently enrolled at a course at gameinstutute, and it's teaching me all about 3D. However, it seems more trouble than it's worth. There are so many things to keep in mind... namely the Windows API, and I guess I was just wondering if there is a hump that I must pass before I finally open up my eyes to 3D development, or if it really is that much harder Thank you, Massive-war

There is definately more to learn at the beginning but it's worth it in the long run. You can just do so much more when dealing in a 3D environment.

As with anything the more you do in the field the better you'll get at it and you won't feel it's so hard anymore.

I think there's also a lot to be said for going slowly. I've made a ton of "things" in 3d, raytracers and physics engines and space partitioners, etc, but I've only ever been able to complete a GAME in 2D, and they look way, way nicer than any of my 3D projects.

Quote:
There are so many things to keep in mind... namely the Windows API,

If OpenGL is an option, take a look at SDL to get started. It's easy to use and you don't have to deal with the windows API.

3D dev is a lot of work (so is 2D) - just keep plugging away and you will eventually be doing some interesting things.

Quote:
I've only ever been able to complete a GAME in 2D, and they look way, way nicer than any of my 3D projects.

Exactly my problem. I'm just trying to decide whether to make a really good 2D game or go and try to make something in 3D and continuously make it better.

Curious

Massive-war

Yes, 3D is more complex than 2D. Or rather, the operations required in many applications of 3D games are more complex -- mathematically -- than a 2D game, in most cases. It's going to seem really awkward and annoying at first, but like most things, it'll grow on you. Metaphorically, of course. :P

There IS a 'hump' but it's not too bad. I actually find it easier to do 3D than 2D using DX these days.

As for API and other stuff like that - wrap it up into some base classes and reuse them. I haven't touched any Windows API stuff for months. Reusing your own base classes is then just as easy as using SDL.

In fact as your projects get bigger you may find you don't actually do any DX coding - I hardly do any now since I reuse a lot of stuff and most of my time is spent on the actual game code.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by massive-war
How does 3D compare with 2D as far as dev. times goes? I'm asking this because I"m currently enrolled at a course at gameinstutute, and it's teaching me all about 3D. However, it seems more trouble than it's worth. There are so many things to keep in mind... namely the Windows API, and I guess I was just wondering if there is a hump that I must pass before I finally open up my eyes to 3D development, or if it really is that much harder

Thank you,

Massive-war
Basic 3d is not that hard, but the problem is that you'll end up wanting to do more and more advanced stuff and with 3d there's really no limit. With 2d it's much easier to get it "good enough" and then focus on the game itself. It's also easier to make a 2d game look better than a 3d game. Looking at indie games, 2d games generally look much better. Making detailed and well-textured 3d models is not so easy and fast as drawing a sprite in Photoshop, and you'll also need a good 3d engine which can draw the high-detail models at interactive framerates.

Of course not all game genres work as 2d, as it places some limitations.. But if you can make an indie game 2d, I'd certainly advice you to do so. For professional games, 3d makes sense since they have so much resources that they can make 3d work better than 2d.

This topic is 4376 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.