Urgent Question

Started by
9 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 4 months ago
How does 3D compare with 2D as far as dev. times goes? I'm asking this because I"m currently enrolled at a course at gameinstutute, and it's teaching me all about 3D. However, it seems more trouble than it's worth. There are so many things to keep in mind... namely the Windows API, and I guess I was just wondering if there is a hump that I must pass before I finally open up my eyes to 3D development, or if it really is that much harder Thank you, Massive-war
A true American.One who supports his government.Is ambitious, successful, and hardworking.The direct definition of a conservative... the ones who actually get stuff done in this country.Long live Americans.
Advertisement
There is definately more to learn at the beginning but it's worth it in the long run. You can just do so much more when dealing in a 3D environment.

As with anything the more you do in the field the better you'll get at it and you won't feel it's so hard anymore.
Thank you

Massive-war
A true American.One who supports his government.Is ambitious, successful, and hardworking.The direct definition of a conservative... the ones who actually get stuff done in this country.Long live Americans.
I think there's also a lot to be said for going slowly. I've made a ton of "things" in 3d, raytracers and physics engines and space partitioners, etc, but I've only ever been able to complete a GAME in 2D, and they look way, way nicer than any of my 3D projects.
--Riley
Quote:There are so many things to keep in mind... namely the Windows API,

If OpenGL is an option, take a look at SDL to get started. It's easy to use and you don't have to deal with the windows API.

3D dev is a lot of work (so is 2D) - just keep plugging away and you will eventually be doing some interesting things.
Quote:I've only ever been able to complete a GAME in 2D, and they look way, way nicer than any of my 3D projects.

Exactly my problem. I'm just trying to decide whether to make a really good 2D game or go and try to make something in 3D and continuously make it better.

Curious

Massive-war

I've currently been using SDL in my 2D projects from the beginning, however, I've never used openGL.

I'm just using DirectX because the gameinstitute is teaching with it.

Massive-war
Yes, 3D is more complex than 2D. Or rather, the operations required in many applications of 3D games are more complex -- mathematically -- than a 2D game, in most cases. It's going to seem really awkward and annoying at first, but like most things, it'll grow on you. Metaphorically, of course. :P
Try reading this link Journey into the third dimension . Might help convince you that 3D is good!

There IS a 'hump' but it's not too bad. I actually find it easier to do 3D than 2D using DX these days.

As for API and other stuff like that - wrap it up into some base classes and reuse them. I haven't touched any Windows API stuff for months. Reusing your own base classes is then just as easy as using SDL.

In fact as your projects get bigger you may find you don't actually do any DX coding - I hardly do any now since I reuse a lot of stuff and most of my time is spent on the actual game code.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement