Sign in to follow this  

Game Music

This topic is 4373 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there, i was just wanting to know if any of you people are wanting music for your games, my site offers free, quality and most importantly cool music which you can use in your projects. www.dirtyhousemuzik.co.uk just let us know if you want/take something. cheers.

Have you considered open-sourcing your music? That is, release your work under CC-BY-SA This is a little more concrete than simply saying "Do what you want but don't sell it." If you release your work under these terms, you can get a lot of people interested AND you can maximize it's usefulness to others without giving up ALL your rights to say, Sony Music. It is sort of ike a musician's version of the GPL.

Notice, that this license DOES allow commercial uses, but there are substantial reasons why it should.
One that is not mentioned in that article is that NonCommercial use is so broad it could even extend to things like playing the music in a blog site that has ads, or using it in a program that was sold under an free/open-source license (or given away as freeware in an ad-supported site). Choosing BY-SA instead allows those things, while preventing someone who will refuse to give back anything to the community (such as the RIAA or MPAA) from simply taking your generosity for granted (because they would have to release it under BY-SA too!)

There is an economic reason to do this too...I imagine bandwidth costs might be a bit high for those really long trance files...Not only does clearer license terms encourage others to mirror you (by feeling more secure about what you can and cannot do, you feel more secure about copying files to your server), but the Internet Archive has agreed to give unlimited free bandwidth to anyone who releases their tracks under a CC license. Not a bad deal!

Why do I care about all this? Because I liked your music, but I am a solid Free/Open-Source developer, and that means that "just don't sell it" (which is pretty vague to begin with and may or may not be valid in a court of law) locks me out of including your music from my projects. (even though as a somewhat independant musician not controlled by corporate suits, I am sure you would probably be pretty thrilled to see your music in a free/open-source project)

Just something to take into consideration.

This topic is 4373 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.