Beginning DirectX Programming

Started by
3 comments, last by Armadon 18 years, 4 months ago
Ok, I am going to be beginning DirectX Programming soon. so, I posted this, so maybe you people could help me on some books to get. I have been to Amazon, and I have also checked here on Gamedev for some good Beginning DirectX Programming. All the ones I find, are eitheir not good, or just not what I am looking for. so, could anyone help me pick out a good DirextX Book? I will be using C++ with this, so it will be nice if if uses C++. I can do C also, but I like C++ more. So eitheir C or C++. Thanks to all who help! Chad.
Advertisement
I think it is best to pick out your own books maybe not for harder topics though. Only because your the only one knows what you really want to learn at the present time. Seeing as your just beginning DirectX a few recommendations shouldn't hurt. I always tend to look through GameDev.nets book section. It has reviews on a quite a few DirectX books. The first place I went to learn DirectX though was not a book I read the tutorials you can find in the help file SDK.

Something to take into consideration is that soon DirectX will go from 9 to version 10. There will be many changes to the API so just be expecting that when Windows Vista comes out; jollyjeffers wrote a article on it on this site you can view it here. Which probably means it is good your getting into it, seeing as it will be some what changed for a lot of people soon.
- GDKnight
I have a feeling many people will stick to 9.0 for a while since DX 10 only works with Vista.
With regards to the learning D3D9 when D3D10 is around the corner... the best advice I have is to learn D3D9 (you can't easily run D3D10 applications yet!) but have a read of articles (such as my one that GDKnight linked to) to see where the API is heading. If you can get a good idea of where things are going to be in a years (or more) time then you can focus your learning on what really matters.

As a simple example - focus on HLSL, and where possible don't spend much time on the "Fixed Function Pipeline" or Assembly shaders.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Starting out DirectX is a long and fantastic experience. Not because of the knowledge you gain but the people you get to talk too and other cool things. What I would like to suggest to you is not go and spend your money on books yet and refer to this thread.
The thread that I linked you to is basically another question about buying books and where to start. In my opinion the best way to get started is to get some basic vector/matrix math behind you. Then move on to how the graphics pipeline works and then dive into DirectX. The knowledge you gained from the theory will surely help you with the implementation and that's about the best advice I can give you. Also read the SDK docs. They are invaluable and definitely contain a wealth of information and knowledge.

I hope this helps.
Take care.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement