Models and co-ordinate systems

Started by
1 comment, last by x86asm 18 years, 3 months ago
Hi everyone, let me just start by wishing you all happy holidays! I have always been confused about models and such. Getting them to be displayed in the screen has been a struggle for me. For example we can load models that have skewed co-ordinate systems then the one OpenGL might be set up for. How would we be able to make it so that we can say, centre this object on the world origin (put the camera inside the model)? For example, I have tried on numerous occassions to load the free 3DS files in memory, but the vertex values look very weird (even with the co-ord system conversion). Drawing the verticies yields nothing on the screen. How do you guys design your models? What model format will I have the least trouble in this respect? As always, thanks for hearing me out and I look forward to hearing from you!
"I'm a rockstar, baby, baby , baby" -Bizarre
Advertisement
"Skewed" coordinate systems? The only possibility I can think of is that they're simply scaled, up or down, and are too large or too small compared to the current OpenGL units to show. You can easily find the size of the bounding box of the model by finding the max and mins for x,y,z, and then scale to the desired size.
Yes mikeman, sorry for not editing my post. You got it right on the nail, thanks. I will try it out!
"I'm a rockstar, baby, baby , baby" -Bizarre

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement