My path to a first person shooter

Started by
10 comments, last by darookie 18 years, 4 months ago
Best to ask now, so time won't be placed in a gap ;-). When I'm ready to head on to developing a first person shooter game, should I take the path of DirectX, OpenGL, or something else? Or also others are creating FPSs on ohter programming languages, I can't see myself switching at a good point now. Have any ideas?
Advertisement
You mean you ask us if you should use OpenGL like the Doom3 team or DirectX like the HL2 team? :)

You realize this is not a question that can be answered by anyone except you.
Quote:Original post by mikeman
You mean you ask us if you should use OpenGL like the Doom3 team or DirectX like the HL2 team? :)

yea lemme rephrase :D, where can i go to get samples of FPS shooters from OpenGL and DirectX, i hear they are similar, but different, i just want the more powerful one ;-)

and waht is the HL2 team?
Quote:
yea lemme rephrase :D, where can i go to get samples of FPS shooters from OpenGL and DirectX, i hear they are similar, but different, i just want the more powerful one ;-)

My previous post was exactly to show that there isn't a more "powerful" one. That's why I mentioned the 2 most successful FPS(Doom3-OpenGL and HalfLife2-Direct3D). Also, the games are not made in OpenGL or D3D, only the rendering part is. There are hundreds of tutorials on the internet(just google) for each API, so you can check them out and see what's best for you. Also, Id has released the source code for Quake2&3 but I don't really know what you'll make out of it since you're only just beginning now.
oh i thought they made their games from OpenGL, i was going to make a FPS out of it. I guess i'll just do Nehe's tutorials, should i do them all? :D
Quote:Original post by Lasko
Quote:Original post by mikeman

and waht is the HL2 team?

Neither D3D nor OpenGL are more powerful -- it's just what you prefer in terms of portability and standard.
i see well, imma take my way through google, and imma see wat API's i can cook up for OpenGL ;-)

[Edited by - Lasko on December 18, 2005 4:12:47 PM]
I suggest OpenGL, i like it alot, i think it's a little bit easier to use than DirectX.

BTW, what do you do in doom 3 ?
well doom 3 is a FPS made by id software, u shoot aliens that come from the underlands in Mars :D
Quote:Original post by Lasko
well doom 3 is a FPS made by id software, u shoot aliens that come from the underlands in Mars :D

bool blood_and_gore = TRUE;

if ( blood_and_gore == TRUE )
{
glPrint( "SOUNDS LIKE FUN!!!!!");
}

// You get the idea ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement