Getting the VC++ 2003 Toolkit to work with the VC++ 2005 Express IDE

Started by
9 comments, last by Fixxer 18 years, 3 months ago
Has anyone done this? If you have please post how.
Advertisement
You do not need the toolkit in order to run VC++ 2005 Express. Just download VC++ 2005 Express by itself.
I know that.
I want to use an SDK that only runs on VC++ 6.0 and VC++ 2003. NET, but my VC++ 6.0 has a limited license and would be a waste of time to make anything with it.
Can anyone get it to work with ANY IDE?
Well, VC6 is pretty much a waste of time to make -anything- with. What SDK is it that you'd like to use? Have you tried using it with VS2005? If so, why doesn't it work?
The DarkSDK.
http://darkgamesdk.thegamecreators.com/

VC++ 2005 does not use libc.lib and other various libs the DSDK needs.
Have you installed the platform SDK?
yes I have.
VS2005 did some significant changes to the CRT, but most are reversible through compiler switches or #defines. Most important, they completely dropped the single threaded runtime libs (ie. libc), because they're pretty much useless nowadays, and can cause havoc if they somehow slip into a multithreaded project.

Usually you can just remove the reference to libc and relink against an MT library, and your code will run fine.

About the VC2003 toolkit, I would recommend against using it in conjunction with any IDE. Some people used in with the standard version of VS.net 2003 (in order to get the optimizer), but this was an extremely unstable combination, that caused several problems with managed code, and random failures/crashes of the forms designer. It can only be worse when trying to combine it with 2005.
Quote:Original post by Fixxer
Can anyone get it to work with ANY IDE?

Yes, once you instal the Toolkit, download and install Code::Blocks. It automatically detects that compiler, so you can just select it on startup. Download the version that does not have a compiler.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement