SDL with DirectX

Started by
9 comments, last by Drew_Benton 18 years, 3 months ago
I first start off by: SDL_SysWMinfo m_Info; SetEnvironmentVariable("SDL_VIDEODRIVER", "directx"); SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO | SDL_INIT_NOPARACHUTE) atexit(SDL_Quit); SDL_SetVideoMode( 800, 600, 0,0); SDL_VERSION(&m_Info.version); SDL_GetWMInfo(&m_Info); // Create Device m_pD3dCOM = Direct3DCreate9(D3D_SDK_VERSION); D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS d3dpp; ZeroMemory(&d3dpp, sizeof(D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS)); d3dpp.hDeviceWindow = m_Info.window; d3dpp.Windowed = true; d3dpp.BackBufferCount = 1; d3dpp.Flags = 0; d3dpp.FullScreen_RefreshRateInHz = D3DPRESENT_RATE_DEFAULT; d3dpp.MultiSampleQuality = 0; d3dpp.PresentationInterval = D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_IMMEDIATE; d3dpp.SwapEffect = D3DSWAPEFFECT_DISCARD; D3DDISPLAYMODE d3ddm; m_pD3dCOM->GetAdapterDisplayMode(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, &d3ddm))) m_BPP = GetBPPfromFormat(d3ddm.Format); SetPixelFormat(GetFormatfromBPP(m_BPP)); d3dpp.BackBufferFormat = m_PixelFormat; if (m_bZBuffer) { m_StencilFormat = D3DFMT_D24S8; d3dpp.AutoDepthStencilFormat = m_StencilFormat; } d3dpp.EnableAutoDepthStencil = true; d3dpp.BackBufferHeight = 800; d3dpp.BackBufferWidth = 600; d3dpp.MultiSampleType = m_SampleType; m_pD3dCOM->CreateDevice(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, m_DevType,m_Info.window, (DWORD)m_VP,&d3dpp, &m_pD3dDeviceCOM)
-------------------------Unless specified otherwise, my questions pertain:Windows Platform (with the mindset to keep things multi-platform as possible)C++Visual Studio 2008OpenGL with SFML
Advertisement
then in my loop, i keep getting an error for the Present() function... what's wrong?
-------------------------Unless specified otherwise, my questions pertain:Windows Platform (with the mindset to keep things multi-platform as possible)C++Visual Studio 2008OpenGL with SFML
i dont know much about directX, but i read once that the SDL library inherits a copy of the enviormental variables, and that any attempts to change them wont affect those in the SDL dll:

Quote:
SetEnvironmentVariable("SDL_VIDEODRIVER", "directx");

this needs to be done either before the program using the dll is loaded or by specifing them in the system enviorment...

maybe thats changed though

[Edited by - rip-off on December 18, 2005 7:39:40 PM]
i have that line being called right from the beginning
Have a look at Direct3D 9.0 with SDL. It might help get you going.
Quote:Original post by EvilKnuckles666

that has no affect, the values are copied _before_ execution starts, so your program and SDL have different ones, and changes in one will not affect the other.

the articles linked above didnt contain any code to change the environment that i could see...
Quote:Original post by rip-off
Quote:Original post by EvilKnuckles666

that has no affect, the values are copied _before_ execution starts, so your program and SDL have different ones, and changes in one will not affect the other.

the articles linked above didnt contain any code to change the environment that i could see...

Why do you want to change the environment?

Apart from that, on first glance your D3D initialization looks okay.

Have you tried D3DFMT_D16 for your m_StencilFormat variable?

Can you post some more code around your actual rendering code?
well, turns out i accidently still had the WinMain crap still in there, but now i'm getting some symbol errors:

Particle System error LNK2005: "private: __thiscall type_info::type_info(class type_info const &)" (??0type_info@@AAE@ABV0@@Z) already defined in LIBCMT.lib(typinfo.obj)
Particle System error LNK2005: "private: class type_info & __thiscall type_info::operator=(class type_info const &)" (??4type_info@@AAEAAV0@ABV0@@Z) already defined in LIBCMT.lib(typinfo.obj)
Particle System error LNK2005: _exit already defined in LIBCMT.lib(crt0dat.obj)
Particle System error LNK2005: _strncpy already defined in LIBCMT.lib(strncpy.obj)
Particle System error LNK2005: __isctype already defined in LIBCMT.lib(isctype.obj)
Particle System warning LNK4031: no subsystem specified; CONSOLE assumed
Particle System warning LNK4098: defaultlib 'msvcrt.lib' conflicts with use of other libs; use /NODEFAULTLIB:library
With SDL, don't forget you still have to make the program use a MultiThreaded [Debug] DLL runtime.
ahh... haven't ran through that in a while... how do i do that?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement