Sign in to follow this  

[web] Testing Compatibilities

This topic is 4377 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

For all you web designers out here. How do you test your webpage for all the older browsers? I have Opera Firefox IE and NN but they all are the current versions. I want to test them on some of the earlier browsers. Need something so I can test browsers specific colors variation css and javascript.

The only old versions that you need are old versions of Internet Explorer. See this forums FAQ for links to a howto on installing multiple versions of IE under Windows or Linux. Users of other browsers tend to be a bit more tech savvy, so they are the kind of people that update when a new version gets out. Personally, I test my pages in IE5, 5.5, 6.0, FireFox, Opera and Links (text browser). I have yet to see a page that works in all these but fails to render in Safari or Konqueror or any other decent browser.

I second what Sander said - it is probably only necessary to test on IE 5.5 (possibly 5.0, although few people use it).

We commonly test our stuff on 5.5 - in most respects it behaves similarly to 6.0 anyway.

As far as other browsers goes, I only test on current versions. I know it's lazy.

Safari is the biggest problem, as I don't have a Mac. On Mac there is no point testing on anything except Safari. The Mac versions of IE are a joke - so broken that there's no point in even *trying* to support them - plus few people use them.

All Gecko-based* browsers render pages very similarly, so it's not usually necessary to test in more than one unless you're doing something unusual like making a Mozilla extension.

AOL's new Windows-only Netscape browser is actually some sort of weird two-headed monster which can embed either Gecko or MSHTML (IE's renderer). It's probably unnecessary to test with this monstrosity if you're confident your site works with IE and Mozilla.

Mark

* Gecko is Mozilla's HTML rendering engine used by browsers such as Mozilla, Firefox, Galeon, Camino, K-Meleon and Netscape.

This topic is 4377 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.