My somewhat farewell :)

Started by
4 comments, last by jbadams 18 years, 4 months ago
I've been thinking hard on my progress over the last five years in game programming. I started with C and did a ton of studying on DirectX and I'm still at an introduction level. It's a tough subject so much that it's not adding up to what I need to know for software development. I'm in Computer Science and I see myself getting a software development job afterwards. It's sad but that's life. There's 99 jobs in software, and maybe one job in games. I came to the realization that I have to be extremely good to be accepted in that 1%. Considering I haven't made much other than Pong, and considering I need a job in a few years, I'm going to start going the less stressful route and start learning about software more. There's much better developers than me that can make tomarrow's games. I'll be always looking forward to my at-home hobby in game development. I have this cool 2d RPG I'm always dreaming about, so that will keep me feeling good on the game side of things. I couldn't care less if I get a job in gaming or not. It's still a fun area to explore while I have a realiable/stable job. So, I'm saying farewell for a while, and I just wanted to say thanks for the help and support over my many stumbling years in studying game programming. I'll still be around sometimes because software does always require a graphics library at times, even if it's not specifically games. But what's cool is I can always take what I learned in software and apply it to my game I hope to build someday. As a gift, I give you a great website filled with a ton of game e-books that helped me out plenty. I hope you find it helpful in your own adventure in life. Keep persuing what you enjoy. I will too, even if it's at home while off work. [link to illegal ebooks removed - Kaz] Merry Christmas, Phil [Edited by - Kazgoroth on December 19, 2005 1:55:01 AM]
Advertisement
Merry Christmas to you to!

I remember when you were working on that Pong game quite a while back. I think I helped you work through some GDI issues as I was working on a similar project myself. That was right around last Christmas wasn't it? Anyway, its really interesting to see what happens to various people. I want to sincerely wish you the best of luck.
Something felt like deja vu... My farewell and Goodbye is my memories of you [lol] See you soon.

[Edited by - nprz on December 19, 2005 12:30:36 AM]
Well I just lost a bet. I had my money on you not giving us another goodbye post before the end of the year.

Anyways, wish you the best and good luck wherever you end up, but please don't link to what appears to be a site to download pirated ebooks.
Don't down-grade the "other" software. There's a great deal of satifaction from figuring out and delivering good stuff. And being paid well without insane hours is gooood stuff.
That's a nice collection of illegal material you've got there. I (and I'm sure many others) am sick of all your grandstanding anyways, leaving on nearly a monthly basic, so no, you won't still be around occasionally this time. Good luck getting anything done in the real world where your attention seeking is likely to be far less useful to you.

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement