[web] Website / Content Management Software?

Started by
4 comments, last by Sander 18 years, 3 months ago
I'm trying to figure out the best way to handle development of my not-yet-existent website, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for good, free content management systems. PHP is preferable, but java or perl, even, would probably be okay. So far I've encountered: phpWebsite XOOP PHP-Nuke All of those look nice, and are php based. XOOPs and phpWebsite seem to have tons of modules readily available, though free phpWebsite themes are hard to find. Although they all look nice, there is a bit too much overhead involved to fairly try out each one. Does anyone have an opinion on any of those, or know of other systems that you would suggest?
Advertisement
Have a look here(pops). I find Joomla(pops) quite useful.
If you want to have a simple CMS that non-techies can actually use take a look at Website Baker. Yes, the name is a bit weird, the CMS itself however is quite good.
Cool, I'll check those out in the next couple of days. Thanks guys.

BTW, it doesn't necessarily have to be non techie. But if there are tons of modules available it can sure save some dev time, which is a good thing.

I was going to mention Mambo, but apparently they're now Joomla. I tried Mambo a year or two ago and liked it pretty well. Now I'm using Drupal on new sites. Drupal is pretty powerful and pretty easy to extend. One thing about Drupal is that it seems easier to manage if you have SSH access on your hosting account.
I suggest you keep far, far away from PHP-Nuke and it's derative PostNuke. The ammount of security problems with it is staggering. On top of that, it's hard to maintain and the code itself is a nightmare. These days I write my own stuff and don't rely on CMS's anymore.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement