Supporting Different Model Types in your Engine...

Started by
3 comments, last by Shamino 18 years, 4 months ago
Do real games like half-life, unreal, etc etc... Do they use one type of modeling program? Or do they create support in their code for any model that needs to be put into their project? Be it 3ds, ms3d, etc etc..??
----------------------------------------------------------Rating me down will only make me stronger.----------------------------------------------------------
Advertisement
These games use their own model format and the engines usually supply exporters for the most common modelling programs.
This way format conversion becomes an offline-process and does not slow-down loading times (e.g. model formats don't need to be identified on runtime, optimisation can take place outside of the program...) and the engine API won't be poluted by including support for various formats.
Also the engine code can stay the same and support for another format can be supplied without having to alter the engine API.
Okay cool, so is Milkshape 3d a good choice for a free modeler?
----------------------------------------------------------Rating me down will only make me stronger.----------------------------------------------------------
Well, that question is best answered by yourself [smile]. If you are comfortable with it - go ahead and use it. The format of ms3d files is well documented and AFAIR there are plenty of plugins available for it for writing various game model formats. IMHO work-flow is more important than public opinion anyway. You'll always find people who tell you that product XY is better than product AB. In the end it doesn't really matter as long as it gets the job done and you like using it.

Cheers,
Pat.
Thanks, I NEED MODELERS!!!!

SPACE SHIPS!!!! SIMPLE ENOUGH!!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement