Sign in to follow this  

What to use?

This topic is 4377 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I don’t know much about programming other than I am sure that I can learn. After dabbling with basic stuff. The game I want to write is a racing manager type game that will go something like this: Game hosted on a server. Client logs in. New user has $x to spend. They purchase 2 karts (complete), get 2 drivers to sign up contracts. Find sponsors. Upgrade the karts. Modify the setup of the karts. SUBMIT. At a routine time, the server calculates all the data submitted and upon that it will calculate a race result. The Players will log back in, get the results and their game screen is updated. They will need to repair the karts, continue satisfying the sponsors, setup the car for the next race and SUBMIT again. This will obviously be an ever going cycle to the end of the season. What I have written above is a fairly simplified version, I am also thinking of having leagues (top 2 go up, bottom 2 go down sort of thing.) Plus many more options for the overall management of the team. Anyway, what I would like to know is what sort of programming should I learn to do this. I have this idea and really want to make it work!

question is do you want graphics or do you just want to be able to do the calculations and store the information. For the latter console programming like in C/C++ would be fine. If you want submit buttons and text boxes and the like you should learn a language like C/C++ then move on to learn how to use Win32API or MFC. Or the quickest and easiest way (IMHO) would be to learn Visual Basic or Visual C#

gor435,
thank you for your quick reply. I would like to concerntrate on the backend more than the pretty frontend, yet a pretty frontend would be a nice final touch. I beleive I could learn visual basic fairly quickly, having played with basic4gl and spent a lot of time with VB in Excel.
Another question though, what should I use for databasing the data. Nad where would I find some good tutorials on how to intergrate VB with a database of somesort (and what database is best for this type of scenario?)
Thanks.

I think such a game would have much more appeal with a web-based interface. No downloads, no hassles. Just a small registration process and you're set. I'd recommend ASP.NET, but php hosting is much cheaper.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Personally, I would go for PHP with MySQL. That way, you can do it all in a web browser.

The only (slightly) difficult part would be getting webspace with a big enough MySQL database space that supports PHP and has enough bandwidth for a reasonable price.

agree with previous posters, do make it web based. what flavour you go for should be detrmined from what hosting you can get, and what syntax is most comfortable for you (price difference in sweden between php and asp.net is very small to none)

for a good source of ideas, check out this online football manager game - it is very popular (have waiting lists to get in to play): hattrick

Yes, PHP and Mysql (or postgress) is a good combination for this kind of games. You can still make it as nice as you want in the browser (including flash, dhtml, etc).

You should create a good logon system for your players. Then retreiving form data using PHP is very easy ($_POST or $_GET based on the way you send the data). Another php script can validate/store this data in the database and construct a new page to the client.

Yes you guys are on to something with the web based idea but I did not mention it because for web based he would need a server of his own or access to one, and a high speed connection. If you have these Ping192 then go web based.

If do go with what I said in my first post then the data base would be easy. Access databases integrate pretty nicly into Visual Basic and I am sure it would not be hard to find tuts a quick [google] should do the trick.

Wow, great forum, didn't expect such popular feedback, thanks guys.

I did originally think of PHP with MySQL on the web. Two things, one is finding a server (cheap (I'm in Oz by the way)), the other is that I was thinking of making it fairly simple to play over a LAN at work. I have seen the Football manager game and think its very impressive. I enjoyed playing F1 manager (both by EA and Microprose), old but good. I'd love to see the same concept as Football manager, but car racing of some sort. Couldn't find one, so thought "Hey, I'll write one". Or try at least.
I will look at both options, PHP with MySQL and VB with Access. Never know, might do both...?

This topic is 4377 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.