Sign in to follow this  

My attempt at a 3D RTS engine.

This topic is 4377 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, my friend and I have been working on a real-time strategy game engine for the past month (mainly the graphics part), and I would like to get some opinions. A screenshot: Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us A download link: here Yes, the game zipped up is only 93.4kb, reason being that all of the data is procedural as with the demo .kkrieger. Please tell me how many frames-per-second you get if you try it. For the most part, the GUI framework is done, along with the graphics device (OpenGL, DirectX device is not finished). Some basic (random) terrain generation is functional as well. Beware that the game will attempt to use Anisotropic filtering if your video card supports it, there is no option to disable it yet (so don't panic if it runs 10 fps on a lower graphics card). Controls are basic: put mouse to edges or use arrow keys to move, + and - on numpad zoom in and out. Thank you very much~ John DiSanti

Ok tried it -- nice how procedural data compresses your file size. Here are my notes:

- The game ran in windowed-mode rather than fullscreen which makes any measures inconsistent (hardware cannot be used optimally at all fronts).

- The FPS was about 215 f/s. My configuration is a AMD 1.8 GHZ, 512 Mb with NVidia GeForce FX 5700 Ultra (which has anisotropic filtering but I did not see any of it).

Furthermore it would be nice to have a way of rotating the view but that depends entirely on your game design. At one point I lost the central buildings but didn't whether to move left or right.

Illco

Guest Anonymous Poster
27 FPS with anisotropic filtering.

P4 3GHz
1GB RAM
radeon 9800 PRO

Nice start!

I got 35 - 40 FPS but my video card is almoust trash. I have a AMD 2200 Athlon with 768 MB of RAM.
There arent too many things yet so I can`t comment too much on it. The screen scrolling is a bit buggy. You can't move downwards ( on the Z axis ) and the sideway movement needs some work ( the cursor frizzes if you move it suddenly to the left)

Edit: Wow I`m really slow at posting. Though I'm going to be the first one :)

Thanks everyone, the scrolling issues have to do with the game not being fullscreen (it is possible to change the game into fullscreen by editing the pss0.conf in notepad and replacing the first line that is 0 with a 1, however it doesn't work on most computers that I've tried).

Looks cool!
There should probably be a limit to how far you can zoom in/out, so you won't zoom in through the terrain, or zoom out far enough to make the buildings disappear :).

Something to change the angles or rotate the view would be awesome too.

I tried fullscreen mode but it says "is not supported by your video card"( and "Nehe opengl" in the messagebox title, may want to remove that :)), so.. are you doing something weird when checking for 'supported modes'? Or trying to set an insanely high resolution? I'm using a GF 7800GT.. so I doubt it doesn't support any common 'fullscreen modes'( my LCD goes up to 1280*1024 though.. ).
[EDIT]: you replied while I was typing this 'fullscreen is broken' story :)

If I click 'No, do not use windowed mode instead' it crashes :]

555ish FPS :)
A64 3000+
1GB,
GF7 in a 240W shuttle :p

Hahaha, nice! I have to admit that I copied the window creation code from NeHe, and I have no idea why it doesn't work in fullscreen. Just finished putting a limit on the zoom in/out (and it won't allow the zooming below terrain, no matter the height), until next version.

Sign in to follow this