Sign in to follow this  

SceneGraph Animation Nodes Help!!!

This topic is 4366 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have been looking for anmation nodes used in Scene Graph for a long time. Anybody got any pointers to articles or example; Please Help!!! Thanks for any help -Obi

I don't know of any article in this direction, but I could mention how I handle this thing. Please notice that "the one and only" animation node does not exist in a scene graph. Sure, something like that could be done, but I think usually the way of animating the _graph_ is chosen. Say, in principle many nodes in the graph could depend on time in the one or other way.

I've solved this problem by having a TimeBase class instance that is triggered at the beginning of an update cycle (say the "input and rendering loop") to get and store the actual time. This time is hold fixed until the next trigger, so that all clients are able to see the same time! Then the scene graph (or at least its time dependend portion) is invoked to update self w.r.t. the current time.

The nodes that do animation compute a new state and update other nodes (normally geometric nodes). E.g. a "rotational motor" node computes another angle from the current time, computes a new rotation matrix from that angle, and sets the basis of the transformation matrix of a group node's axis (what is nothing other than a local co-ordinate frame) to that rotation matrix.

Many types of my animation nodes influence their environment this way. Also whole skeleton like animations (say interpolating tables) and texture animation are driven this way.

This topic is 4366 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.