Sound lib for FreeBSD ?

Started by
4 comments, last by Kylotan 18 years, 3 months ago
Hi everyone, I'm developing an audio player for FreeBSD, and I'm looking for and audio lib (I came across SDL_sound, but I'm having trouble finding much documentation or many examples). Can anybody help me, be it either with SDL_sound or other, I'm really having trouble here :/ Thanks
Advertisement
SDL_Sound is dependant on several other libraries including MikMod, ModPlug, SMPEG, and others. If you are going to use MikMod then you are just as well off using SDL_Mixer instead. What file formats are you trying to play?
I'm trying to play MP3 and WAV formats to start off.

My biggest problems are 1) that I'm not sure whether I can compile a .c file using SDL_sound using gcc (C++ only, perhaps?), and 2) I'm not sure I know all the dependencies, and am furthermore not sure of how to include these libraries or link them in my compiling line*.

Can somebody help me ? :/
Depending on what this project is for, I'd suggest you take a look into using FMOD. If that's not what you need (license/etc...), then the next thing I'd reccomend is looking into looking at SDL_Mixer as samuraicrow suggested. The docs are here and you can look at a starting example here as well (which make be a little more 'extra' than simple base code).
Thanks for the quick reply, I took a look at FMOD (which I had used for Windows), but the only way to get it working on FreeBSD is to emulate it, and I'm looking for an easier solution.

I'm interested in making an audio media player.

Should I be posting this in another forum section ? Perhaps does someone have suggestions as to where I should ask these questions ?
The Alternative Game APIs forum might be better suited. And gcc handles both C and C++ files. As for the dependencies, they should be listed in the SDL_Sound documentation, and really it's just a case of installing them and then using the appropriate makefile (usually). When it comes to your end program you don't usually need to worry about SDL_Sound's dependencies, just SDL_Sound. Distribution is where it gets slightly awkward.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement