[web] Low-Cost Hosting w/ lots of Storage, Transfer/Mo, and Bandwidth?

Started by
24 comments, last by Extrarius 18 years, 3 months ago
frob:
1) The site isn't mine in any respect, so your emphasis-formatting is wasted on me. I never bothered looking at the things you mention, but I will pass your suggestions along.

2) index.php does everything (as far as the web page goes, just about every link on the site is to index.php with different parameters), and it appears the stat system folds it into the stats for "/", so it isn't quite as bad as it seems. Consider that for every single download, a user must navigate several pages (all index.php plus parameters) to get to a single download, and it becomes apparant that even with a simple theme, there would be a relatively large amount of traffic going through "/".

I agree, though, that there is much room for improvment, and I'll let the owner know as much.

hplus0603:
The site already has google ads, at least on the front page.
I don't think what is needed is exactly "premium performance", though I guess it's a matter of perspective scale. Certainly, what I'm looking for would be the highest end shared plans.
2000 GB/mo for only $99 is the best deal I've heard (presuming it includes more than just the transfer =-), and I'll look into it.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Advertisement
Im not a web designer/programmer or anything, but i had a thought:

you say you get 2000 GB for 99$ in one host, and 1000GB for 20$ at another,

why not get two of the other host? that will be 2000GB for 40$
and 40$ per month is way below the 800$...
you can maybe host half the files on one of them and half on the other.

i know it cant be this simple... what did i miss?
Quote:Original post by Iftah
Im not a web designer/programmer or anything, but i had a thought:

you say you get 2000 GB for 99$ in one host, and 1000GB for 20$ at another,

why not get two of the other host? that will be 2000GB for 40$
and 40$ per month is way below the 800$...
you can maybe host half the files on one of them and half on the other.

i know it cant be this simple... what did i miss?
It would be possible, except that with GoDaddy (the one that offers 1000GB), you can't combine accounts (in the sense of buying two and treating them like one). You could do so manually as you suggest, but then you have to worry about one of the two running out of bandwidth, so you'd have to shift files as different ones become more and less popular. To say the least, that would be a pain and would require constant attention.
You said that they guy now pays $800 a year, right. Well, for that kind of cash you can go dedicated. Here's one I have good experceinces with: Layered Technology. The link goes to a $65/month dedicated server with 1024 GB bandwidth limit. The machine ain't too powerfull (AMD Sempron 2600 with 512 MB RAM and 80 GB harddrive) but you said you don't need that. They offer far more bandwidth though. The standard packages go up to 33 Terrabyte (33000 GB). I think if you need even more than that, they can provide if you ask [smile]

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

From my experiences GoDaddy is the devil unless you plan to stay with them FOREVER. Moving a domain from them is more painful then wisdom teeth being removed with no drugs by a drunk bum on the street with no tools.

Just trying to steer you in the right direction. You can also look at getting a second cheap host and doing some files on there and others on another server and split the bandwidth.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

Sander: While dedicated is possible for under $800/year, dedicated with enough bandwidth is not. To add only 200GB to the plan (because the site exceeded 1000GB peak), the price more than doubles to $140/mo, and that still doesn't include a control panel(which few people can do without).

Mike2343: Why do you say that? If you transferred the domain several years ago, it was required for them to get all kinds of stuff from you by whoever is in charge of domain names (forgot the name), but these days it just takes an email and a few replies/clicks because the head company changed the requirements. Anyways, GoDaddy is the least expensive company for domains that has competent support IME, so I don't plan on transferring the many domains I have with them anywhere else.
Quote:Original post by Extrarius
Sander: While dedicated is possible for under $800/year, dedicated with enough bandwidth is not. To add only 200GB to the plan (because the site exceeded 1000GB peak), the price more than doubles to $140/mo, and that still doesn't include a control panel(which few people can do without).

You could contact them about the possibility of only paying extra in the months that you actually exceeded the 1024 GB/month limit. That goes for all your hosting plans BTW, not just LayeredTech. A TerraByte is pretty much the "standard" limit out there. If you want more for cheap, negotiate. Especially if you don't need it all the time

Also, LayeredTech provides Plesk for free, which is every bit as good as CPanel.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Since it's game related. Why does'nt he partner with Fileplanet or another game mod/demo hosting site. I'm sure they would welcome the traffic and revenue from signups.

gamershell
actiontrip
filefront

etc

Quote:Original post by Sander
[...]You could contact them about the possibility of only paying extra in the months that you actually exceeded the 1024 GB/month limit. That goes for all your hosting plans BTW, not just LayeredTech. A TerraByte is pretty much the "standard" limit out there. If you want more for cheap, negotiate. Especially if you don't need it all the time[...]
Sure, but most sites charge outrageous amounts, such as GoDaddy's charging $6/GB. If LayeredTech allowed it to be payed for per GB (at ~$0.38, rougly the 200GB/$75), it'd be the least I've seen charged for going over. Usually, though, hosts have a separate and distinct price for overages that is several times the base cost for a plan with that much space. I guess I might as well email them, though.
i still think the twice cheap host has a chance,
cant you web programmers make a script to balance the load?

for example (pseudo code)
hostA = 0.5hostB = 1-hostA// for each link (download file?)onClickLink() {  if (rand(0..1) < hostA)     gotoLinkInHostA;  else     gotoLinkInHostB;}

this way you can change the load on the two host with one parameter.
perhaps you can automate it so that it will keep track of used bandwidth and set the param to balance the load? (and even maybe stop the downloading when nearing the limit).
I dont know how limited the scripts languages are, but the logic seems simple.

Iftah.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement