Car Simulators?

Started by
2 comments, last by d000hg 18 years, 4 months ago
Has anyone really done a simulator with the < Differential Slip Ratio > ? I would like to see. When someone asks about it, he usually gets a URL to Marco Monsters tutorial, but I haven't found any working differential slip ratio code there after searching hours and hours. Even in his own implementions he has a slip ratio algorithm which doesn't even allow wheel longtitudinal slip. I am not saying Marco talks just bullshit but he should't teach things to others if he haven't got them working himself. But anyway most of his tut's kicks ass. Now I am asking if someone has got working DSR so I would know it's not worth nothing to try. If I get it working somehow, I will make it a good tutorial how to make it work! bad english I guess...
Advertisement
Yes. I have used it and it does work. My implementation suffers from some wobble under braking near zero velocity, although I think that may be due to the braking code itself and not the tires.
Quote:Original post by Nitrotrigger
Has anyone really done a simulator with the < Differential Slip Ratio > ?
I would like to see. When someone asks about it, he usually gets a URL to Marco Monsters tutorial, but I haven't found any working differential slip ratio code there after searching hours and hours. Even in his own implementions he has a slip ratio algorithm which doesn't even allow wheel longtitudinal slip. I am not saying Marco talks just bullshit but he should't teach things to others if he haven't got them working himself.
Welcome the incredible world of internet popular science.
Where anyone with a computer, and word processor and a website to host a publication can become the utmost authority in a subject by the stroke of writing and article.

I used it (along with the "Physics of Racing" Series) and it kind of worked. But one extra thing I needed was to instead of work out the slip-ratio each frame, to work out the derivative of it instead.

I can't remember where I got that from but it might even have been CombatWombat who told me (or Dmytry if not) - he's been working on a car sim for AGES!

My sim you can see here (right-click and save).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement