Game programming and women [SOLVED]

Started by
18 comments, last by pulpfist 18 years, 3 months ago
Im a 33 year old male programmer. I have a bachelor degree in computer science, and I have been programming in about 12 years now. I was always facinated by computer games all the way back to those simple consoles you would connect to your black and white television. I dont have a lot of professional experience when it comes to programming. (got my degree not long ago) I have some questions about women and game programmers in general, and Im curious what experiences other programmers have when it comes to women. What do they say about male programmers? How do they look? Is there a speciffic type of woman that is more likely to play games? What is the percenatge of women in your organization? Do they play games, and what games do they prefer? Does gender say anything about what you do best? Are thay all doing the UML part of the programming process? I dont want to come out looking like a stupid macho man, becouse Im not ^^ Female replies is most appreciated. [Edited by - pulpfist on December 20, 2005 1:53:44 PM]
Advertisement
I don't know how to answer this without sounding like an ass, so I'll just say that if you are looking for a female programmer girlfriend/wife, It has been done before. [smile] best of luck on your quest!.
I can handle that part myself =)
Well, the ratio for male to female programmers is uneven to say the least, I dont know, about 5 males per female being highly optimistic, I thought this sad fact we all discovered on the very first second of the very first Computer Science class we took in college regardless of country of origin.
Quote:Original post by pulpfist
What do they say about male programmers?
How do they look?
Is there a speciffic type of woman that is more likely to play games?
What is the percenatge of women in your organization?
Do they play games, and what games do they prefer?
Does gender say anything about what you do best?
Are thay all doing the UML part of the programming process?

I dont want to come out looking like a stupid macho man, becouse Im not ^^
Female replies is most appreciated.

I'm not in the programming field (just finished my schooling), but in relation to your questions.

Never heard them say bad things about male programmers, I know one that is dating one.
They vary in looks, like male programmers...
I think even fewer play/make games.
Varies by person, I know good female programmers and programmers who enjoy theory more than programming.
One I know is making the GUI for interacting with semiconductor machines.

Quote:Original post by Kwizatz
Well, the ratio for male to female programmers is uneven to say the least, I dont know, about 5 males per female being highly optimistic, I thought this sad fact we all discovered on the very first second of the very first Computer Science class we took in college regardless of country of origin.

That is optimistic, especially for my school's department where it is closer to 30 males to one female. My school is 60:40 female to male though. [wow]
Thats interresting, I remeber something like 30%-40% in our classes as beeing female kind.
Still my impression is that women usually prefer UML and the planning of the software solution.
What do they say about male programmers?

Most women hate being treated differently. They usually just want you to treat them like "one of the guys". And why shouldn't you? They treat you the same way.
How do they look?

Why does it matter how someone looks? They're people. Some look good, some look ugly. Some are fat, or skinny, or anything else. Who cares? You're looking at them as co-workers, not love interests.
Is there a speciffic type of woman that is more likely to play games?

Yes. Those who are living are more likely to play games.

Let's reverse the gender: Is there a specific type of male that is more likely to play games?

I didn't think so.
What is the percenatge of women in your organization?

All women in the workplace? Around 30%. Working as programmers? A total of 1, ever.

I think this has more to do with the overall population of women in engineering and science diciplines generally.

There are game companies made up of mostly or completely women programmers, and the Women's Game Conference that this year was days just before (and affiliated with) the Austin Game Conference. The focus was on women-oriented issues, but men were invited too.
Do they play games, and what games do they prefer?

Of course women play games!

Different stats come out every year, but they basically show women are about half of the game market (go figure, they're also about half of the population). Usually it's not the hardcore FPS games, though. Usually it's casual and online games.

I've heard lots of complaints from avid female gamers about how degrading characters like Lara Croft are. Really, how would you feel if the main (almost idolized) character in a popular game for women was an ultra-buff man with, let's just say, body statistics that most men would blush over? Would you really want your girlfriend to play a game where the avitar has the body dimentions and, ahem, certain oversized and glamorized sexual organs, on the box cover?
Does gender say anything about what you do best?

Sounds like another sexist idea.

Gender relates to reproductive systems, and that's about it.

There are some minor cognitive differences between genders, but that's not a big deal for programming.
Are thay all doing the UML part of the programming process?

I've never had a UML part of the programming process. We do system designs, and everyone on the team is involved. Gender is a non-issue.

frob.
[Edit - fix some links and spelling errors]

[Edited by - frob on December 19, 2005 4:11:20 PM]
I'm just gonna go ahead and say this, men and women are different, and they don't want to be treated the same... I'm a guy, for instance, and don't want to be treated like a woman! however, theres difference between men/women at home, and men/women at work.

Ideally, in the workplace, people are supposed to forget gender. Why? because the workplace is not a bed, or club, or bar, or restaurant, or what have you. not to say that people dont often meet their significant others at work/school. However, it's not the main purpose of these places. To be efficient/productive, it's encouraged that you leave your genitals at home, or at least keep your priority straight. So, to be productive, you don't treat people as a man or woman at work, just treat them like part of the team.

IE, just because the majority of workers in a IT company might be men, doesn't mean you treat all women working there like men. It means you treat female IT workers, like IT workers. Comprendez?

But other than that little knitpick, I see mostly valid points.
Seriously though, if you plan to get yourself a girlfriend (not necessarily to OP, but to anyone reading this), don't treat her like a guy ;o It won't get you far, that I have seen :p
|aaap.penopticon.com| My website, including game projects. Collaboration/comments are welcome, please visit :)
Quote:
Most women hate being treated differently. They usually just want you to treat them like "one of the guys". And why shouldn't you? They treat you the same way.

I know this... I guess Im tired of treating "them" like one of the guys.
Quote:
You're looking at them as co-workers, not love interests.

This is true indeed, even though a dead one wouldnt be of much help.
Quote:
Yes. Those who are living are more likely to play games.
Let's reverse the gender: Is there a specific type of male that is more likely to play games?
I didn't think so.

I know a lot of guys who frawn upon "geeks" and game players. To tell the truth, some of my best friends is socalled geeks. I dont know much about these things, but I believe a conciderable amount of humor and self-irony is required to play computer games, not to mention admitting that you do so.
Quote:
Would you really want your girlfriend to play a game where the avitar has the body dimentions and, ahem, certain oversized and glamorized sexual organs, on the box cover?

It depends if she is able to coope with it or not...
If my girlfriend was spending most of her time communicating with a guy in real life with those statistics, I would feel like a pulp with two sorry eyes.
Quote:
Sounds like another sexist idea.

This has nothing to do with what I call sex, but I hear you...
I know a lot of guys who frawn upon "geeks" and game players. To tell the truth, some of my best friends is socalled geeks. I dont know much about these things, but I believe a conciderable amount of humor and self-irony is required to play computer games, not to mention admitting that you do so.

Doesn't sound like a fun place to live.

You say they can't admit to playing games, women represent under 30% of the college, and some people consider being a 'geek' shameful.

(frob makes a note to never live in Norway.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement