Sign in to follow this  

What is your Game Engine of Choice?

This topic is 4377 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to get a feel for what engine's people are using to make their games and why. A lot of the open source engines have evolved a lot (and some not so much). There is always Torque, but they seem to be taking forever on their Shader Engine. Or do you guys mostly like to roll your own?

I have used CEGUI for GUI, FMOD for music, Ogre for rendering

I am also working on my own 'engine', some good things about making your engine are: you know exactly whats going on, and can develop whatever you want.

Using a premade engine is good because its already been debugged, usually stable, and requires little or no development time.

Torque is ok, but there's always things they don't tell you. Like you can't scale the terrain textures (you can modify the source in most cases, but that one... well it's not for the faint of heart).

I've been trying-out irrlicht. It's small but it does most everything I need. Also it allows me to access all of my data directly with the engine so that I can extend it anyway I need without even having to change the source code.

Quote:
Original post by Kelly G
I've been trying-out irrlicht. It's small but it does most everything I need. Also it allows me to access all of my data directly with the engine so that I can extend it anyway I need without even having to change the source code.

I was even surprised how painless it was to compile the engine, if you want to. Not a single warning, no "please go and spend the rest of the day hunting for these 3rd party libraries", just open the project/use the makefile and it works.

Which I consider very nice, as nodes don't have any useful transformation functions, I can't wrap my head around why they/he would use Euler Angles and the cameraNode with it's redundant vector completely ignoring its orientation is a real pita and the first thing to rip out and replace.

Better incomplete but easy to extend, imho. And it's nice to have an engine you can plug into your app instead of having to fiddle your app into the engine.

In the past, I've rolled my own. I used OGRE for graphics, FMOD for sound, Newton or Novodex for physics, and SDL for input. Now, though, I'm taking a look at Yake. It is very modular and uses most of the stuff I used. It's still in development, but it seems alive and well, and I like what I see so far. I'm still looking, though, and I would encourage you to take a long look at its setup and API before going with it (Actually, you should do that with any engine).

Best of luck.

Quote:
Original post by RAZORUNREAL
Torque is ok, but there's always things they don't tell you. Like you can't scale the terrain textures (you can modify the source in most cases, but that one... well it's not for the faint of heart).

They also don't really tell you that the basic implied method for programming your games is through their scripting engine. While not the worst thing in the world, it's kind of annoying.

This topic is 4377 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.