Low poly 3D human character model pack?

Started by
12 comments, last by Psionic Artist 18 years, 3 months ago
Can anyone point me to a website that sells 3D human models (or packs of them), reasonably priced , of fairly good quaulity and preferably a pack of several, rather than just one or two? The type of character models i'm looking for are fairly realistic humans (not fantasy or sci-fi, something like you find in a GTA game? .) something like this: http://www.complete-characters.com/ but a fair bit cheaper :) I'm not necessarily looking for animated models, (would be good if they were, but just T-Posed or rigged models would be enough.) Iv'e already looked at / own these, which are not suitable: - Geometricks, i own the human 3 pack, too low poly / blocky badly modelled, basiclly money down the drain :( - AXYZ design: good models, crap for animating (although they come rigged, UV maps are bad, badly modelled especially for animating...hmm hence why they don't come with any simple/ default animations with them)...for the price i expected much better. - Low Polygon3D.com... look elsewhere! crap models, same or simialr problems as AXYZ. - Complete Characters - http://www.complete-characters.com/ Perfect in every way of what i need/ am looking for ...though 3199- US Dollars for my Indie project is way out of what i can afford :( They really need to be a pack of models done by the same artist, as i think IMHO mixing and matching ( buying single characters from TurboSquid ) doesn't work... Too many different styles from character to character if not done by the same artist, the characters look out of place/ wrong. I'm looking to spend around 600 US dollars for about 12 characters (not animated just modelling), i would even go so far as say i would do the UV mapping/ texturing myself.
Advertisement
Have you looked for someone to help out? I'm not sure if that's feasible for your situation, but you might get more bang for your buck if you offer money to an individual to make the models for you. There are plenty of talented individuals who would work underpaid (but be glad to be paid at all) ;)

Good luck with your solution, however.
_______________________"You're using a screwdriver to nail some glue to a ming vase. " -ToohrVyk
the problem is its wayyy better to make them yourself, i tried looking for premade human models before but unless your game is very generic, generic human models you find online won't work. you see i'm only an environmental artist so i suck at human models (so far atleast).
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
I have contacted a couple of free-lance artists (with details etc)...

This was one of them : http://www.psionic3d.co.uk/

though none have ever replied. They probably get a lot of e-mails from people who aren't serious about the work etc, or didn't take my e-mail seriously when asking about twelve characters being modelled. I don't know, but non have replied to me with their prices.

If anyone knows where i might find a website with some FreeLance modellers i could contact, that would be helpful and worth a try :)
@ Jarrod1937 ( must have posted the same time as you )...

yep, i can model okay (do a bit of everything) but, i'm at the stage where it's getting a bit too much (work wise) and i'd rather just give a good modeller some reference photo's, and say " this is something like what i need " and pay them to do it.

Plus, i really want to get this game finished off pretty quick now (been three years ) and it's really just he art side of things now.

But yeah, your right, iv'e been looking online for these type of models for weeks now and haven't found anything anywhere :(
Try the "help wanted" section of these forums. Ask for a portfolio and mention that you are willing to pay, offer your prices and a few details (enough to give the modeller an idea.)

Thousands of people look there every day, you're bound to get someone who is interested in work and competent enough to help you.
_______________________"You're using a screwdriver to nail some glue to a ming vase. " -ToohrVyk
cool, care to link to some pics of your game? just curious.
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
@M2tM, i'll give the help wanted section a go.

@Jarrod, not quite willing to post screenies here yet :)

This place will be one of the first on my list though when i'm ready ;-)

I haven't got these so I don't know if they are any good, but codersworkshop.com
sells 3D models, they are already animated and textured though. they have a couple of soldier and guard model packs that look pretty good. If I'm remembering correctly, they were only around 50 US dollars.
Your best bet may be to look at something like Poser and the artists who create models for it. It's what I plan on using -- though I'm doing 2D sprites. For 3D models, the licensing is a bit different, and a bit ambigious. I believe that as long as the end-user cannot extract and use (officially) the 3D model from your game then you could redistribute the models. But that may not be correct, and it may very well vary from artist to artist.

But, the Poser community would be home to lots of character modellers who do work for hire, so it'd be a good place to go shopping.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement