Sign in to follow this  

cos(90) = -0.45?

This topic is 4378 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

As any calculator will tell you, cos(90) = 0. But for some reason, in a program I've written, it's returning -0.45! o_O Doesn't seem to matter if I use cos(), (float)cos(), cosf() etc. I tried putting it right at the beginning of the program (in case it was some weird memory corruption bug) and the same thing happens. I'm doing this on WinXP SP2, with MinGW on an AMD Sempron 2800+.

Guest Anonymous Poster
remember those functions take radians not degrees, type "cos 90 radians" into google and you'll get your answer, so convert the 90 to radians and bobs'ya uncle

this is because your cos function returns the answer in radians, not degrees, if you need the degrees, then you need to do this:

y = (cos(90) * (pi/180))

this will give you the result in degrees

Quote:
Original post by rgirard413
this is because your cos function returns the answer in radians, not degrees, if you need the degrees, then you need to do this:

y = (cos(90) * (pi/180))

this will give you the result in degrees

it must be other way around.
y = cos(90*(pi/180))

This topic is 4378 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.