Sign in to follow this  

Moving my Alien around

This topic is 4378 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

There are no errors ,but I cant figure out how to move my alien around here is my source #include "SDL/SDL.h"; #include <cstdlib>; const int screenwidth=640; const int screenheight=480; SDL_Surface* Displaysurface=NULL; SDL_Surface* aliensurface=NULL; SDL_Rect srect,drect; SDL_Event move,quit; int main(int argc,char*argv[]) { SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO); Displaysurface=SDL_SetVideoMode(screenwidth,screenheight,0,SDL_ANYFORMAT); aliensurface=SDL_LoadBMP("alien.bmp"); srect.w=drect.w=aliensurface->w; srect.h=drect.h=Displaysurface->h; drect.y=100; drect.x=100; Uint32 color; color=SDL_MapRGB(aliensurface->format,255,0,255); SDL_SetColorKey(aliensurface,SDL_SRCCOLORKEY,color); for(;;) { SDL_BlitSurface(aliensurface,&srect,Displaysurface,&drect); SDL_UpdateRect(Displaysurface,0,0,0,0); if(SDL_PollEvent(&move)==SDLK_DOWN) { --drect.y; } } return 0; }

Note: I don't know sdl so this could be completely mistaken

but i think what you might want is rather than

if(SDL_PollEvent(&move)==SDLK_DOWN)
{
--drect.y;
}

is

SDL_PollEvent(&move);

if(move == SDLK_DOWN)
{
--drect.y;
}

Plus you'll probably want to check that the SDL_PollEvent call doesn't return an error.

First thing, to move the sprite DOWN you should INCREASE the y value because the y value of zero is at the top of your screen.

Next, here are two ways to deal with keys in SDL:

First, (and best for games), is to simply see if the key is down:

Uint8* keys;

keys = SDL_GetKeyState(NULL);

if(keys[SDLK_UP] ){
MovePlayer(MOVE_UP); // or whatever non-object thing you are doing.
}//end if

This works well because if the player holds down the key, it will move the whole time.

The second thing is to see if a key was pressed down as an event. This isnt good because it only works if it was pressed down:

SDL_Event event;

while ( SDL_PollEvent(&event) ){
if ( event.type == SDL_QUIT ) { return 1; }
if ( event.type == SDL_KEYDOWN ){
if ( event.key.keysym.sym == SDLK_ESCAPE ) { return 1; }
if ( event.key.keysym.sym == SDLK_RETURN ) { done = 1; }
if ( event.key.keysym.sym == TALKING_KEY ) { done = 1; }
}
}//end while (SDL_PollEvent)

PollEvent returns 1 if there are any pending events, or 0 if there are none available. The event is then stored at the address you specify as the first/only parimeter. You then take the event->type, which contains the information your looking for.

This topic is 4378 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.