Sign in to follow this  

3D Urban environment modeling for DirectX

This topic is 4379 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My idea is to make desktop application capable of rendering large urban environment using DirectX APIs. I am using 3DS MAX for modeling. DirectX programming is used to put rendering/ interactivity / Collision detection etc. I tried to render some small model with DirectX, but while rendering my camera moves very slow. It also suckup lot of hardware time. The number of polygons/vertices/faces is large. please suggest me what are the parameters that I should consider while modeling the environment. Is 3DS MAX good for modeling 3d world used for DirectX. How I should make polygons / map textures etc while making 3d urban environment so that I render smoothly with DirectX APIs.?

problem:

camera moves very slow

solution:

Implement time based movement. Instead of moving your camera x distance per frame, you should move it by x*time_elapsed per frame, where time_elapsed is a high performance clock count of the amount of time it took to process the single frame and x is some constant speed you want the camera to move. This way the movement will become a function of time and your camera will move the required distance no matter what your frames per seconds are.

problem:

Is 3DS max a good choice and how to model/texture buildings?

solution:

3DS is fine, there is also Maya and other choices like Milkshape that are cheeper in cost. If using 3DS I recommend you use Panda Exporter (free) to export into the x file format and use the D3DX load functions available in the DirectX API. As for modeling you will probably find more answers in a graphics/modeling forum. However I would say to decrease you poly count, you should be using full textures of buildings and thier windows on simplied boxes. This will reduce your polycount dramatically and give you smoother motion.

It would also be helpful to provide your current hardware setup and the number of polys your model/scene currently has.

This topic is 4379 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.