can a directX Game be played on web ???

Started by
4 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 4 months ago
hi guys i want to know if i can develope games for websites using DirectX , all the games i see on the sites are done with flash so is it possible to do like flash ??
Advertisement
As far as I know, DirectX cannot be used natively with Flash. There is one slight possibility though, that it might be possible with a Java applet.
I believe ActiveX controls can be used to perform DirectX calls. However:
  • Not all users have DirectX installed (only Windows users do) and it is too large to be installed in a split second like Flash or Shockwave. The same is true for ActiveX-supporting browsers.

• Accessing DirectX through ActiveX can be dangerous for the host computer, which is why most computers will actively prevent your game from running.

• The user will still need to download all the necessary data, so having him download the game directly will be safer and more portable.

thanks guys for ur help
I agree - easier just to do a normal app that communicates over the web. One slight point though - all Windows users should now have SOME version of DX installed. WinXP came with either 8 or 9, and that would cover most of us.
Quote:Original post by jad_salloum
hi guys i want to know if i can develope games for websites using DirectX , all the games i see on the sites are done with flash so is it possible to do like flash ??

The shockwave player (made by the creators of flash) supports 3d through any 3d api present on the host system. (either opengl or directx)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement