• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
johnnyk

Which code profiler?

This topic is 4682 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What code profilers would you fellas recommend for performance profiling? Something that could tell me which lines used the most percentage of performance would be great. And if its free and build for Windows thats all the better! I want to find the problem areas of my physics engine. Thanks, John

Advertisement
You need to use a profiler which is compatible with your compiler.

That's to say, don't build it with a different compiler just to do profiling - that's completely pointless as your profile data will be different.

Therefore, when asking this question, it's necessary to state which compiler you're using.

Mark

Please people. Do yourselves a favour and upgrade to VC++ 8 Express. It's free. Surely you don't want to be using a seven year old compiler that predates the standardisation of the C++ language!

Enigma

Is there a code profiler included in VC2005 express ??
I use it since 2 days, and I must say that it's quite enjoyable. And it would be even more if there was a profiler included ^^

Edit : on VS2003 I use DevPartner profiler.

CodeAnalyst is the best. And free.

It has several modes, one will analyze a sequence of time and say "x function took y% of time" etc. This is useful in a high level way.

In Pipeline Simulation mode, it will take an executable and run it through a processor simulator and print out a graph that displays each stage of the pipeline as thousands of instructions execute. This is very useful for optimizing a specific piece of code, particularly if you write a lot of assembly.

Guest Anonymous Poster
does codeanalyst also work on intel platforms / i.e. is it platform independent?

Some AMD-specific paths like Pipeline Simulation don't work without AMD processor, but sampled and instrumented profiling is possible on Intel, too.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!