Sign in to follow this  

Which code profiler?

This topic is 4379 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What code profilers would you fellas recommend for performance profiling? Something that could tell me which lines used the most percentage of performance would be great. And if its free and build for Windows thats all the better! I want to find the problem areas of my physics engine. Thanks, John

You need to use a profiler which is compatible with your compiler.

That's to say, don't build it with a different compiler just to do profiling - that's completely pointless as your profile data will be different.

Therefore, when asking this question, it's necessary to state which compiler you're using.

Mark

Is there a code profiler included in VC2005 express ??
I use it since 2 days, and I must say that it's quite enjoyable. And it would be even more if there was a profiler included ^^

Edit : on VS2003 I use DevPartner profiler.

CodeAnalyst is the best. And free.

It has several modes, one will analyze a sequence of time and say "x function took y% of time" etc. This is useful in a high level way.

In Pipeline Simulation mode, it will take an executable and run it through a processor simulator and print out a graph that displays each stage of the pipeline as thousands of instructions execute. This is very useful for optimizing a specific piece of code, particularly if you write a lot of assembly.

Guest Anonymous Poster
does codeanalyst also work on intel platforms / i.e. is it platform independent?

Quote:
Original post by ajas95
CodeAnalyst is the best. And free.

It has several modes, one will analyze a sequence of time and say "x function took y% of time" etc. This is useful in a high level way.

In Pipeline Simulation mode, it will take an executable and run it through a processor simulator and print out a graph that displays each stage of the pipeline as thousands of instructions execute. This is very useful for optimizing a specific piece of code, particularly if you write a lot of assembly.

Gotta say I downloaded it and I wasnt too impressed with CodeAnalyst, it wouldn't show me which functions were taking the most time besides the leaf ones which are used all over, so I couldnt really figure out which parts of mhy program were slow. Sure my transform function takes a lot of cycles, but whereabouts is it taking these cycles??? Unless I'm missing something with the app..

I would recommend intel VTune. It does not matter where you compile as long as you have the pdb files. It is great. It draws a graph of ticks where you can zoom in and out and see the problem code. It does not just show your tick counts how much a line of code took it also shows it on a larger scale. It is very very easy to use.

For those using MingW (or gcc on *nix) gprof works well enough. The output is a bit convoluted, but the manual does a decent job of explaining it.

I'm not a huge fan of CodeAnalyst, but it has the useful feature of being free, unlike vTune.

This topic is 4379 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.