dx9 occlusion queries on older hardware?

Started by
1 comment, last by harris 18 years, 3 months ago
Hello everyone. I have been reading the forums for quite a while , and now that time has come for me to try my powers in game programming. i have been studing dx9 and wrote some samples , so i am moving on to scene management. my video card ( geforce 3 ti200 ) is supposed to provide hardware accleration for occlusion queries , but no matter what i do the code wont work. the error is always at "Query->Issue(D3DISSUE_BEGIN)". Has anyone here experienced the same problem with a geforce 3( always speaking for directx only ,as i wouldnt like to mess with opengl and its extensions )? is there a solution to this ? thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Some more details on the error might be useful - including the rest of your query creation code.

The online documentation is a bit dead right now, but have you read through the Direct3D9 -> Programming Guide -> Advanced Topics -> Queries page?

Also, have you tried the debug runtimes with maximum output? see if they give you any clues as to what it doesn't like [smile]

Tried the latest drivers for your hardware?

Been able to test it on any other chipsets?

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

yes i have read the documentation. it is in the sdk too.
i use the latest forceware drivers available for my geforce 3 card from nvidia.
i have not implemented them in my own project gecause they dont work :)
but a sample code is here:
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/occlusionculling/
as well as nvidias own tutorial which is supposed to be for geforce 3 class cards
and higher.
the samples will comile alright but when the command
"d3dQuery->Issue( D3DISSUE_BEGIN )" is executed the program abnormaly terminates.
I supose the query is not created at all.
maybe my card doesnt support this feature under dx9 after all?

thanks for your reply.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement