When does an algorithm turn alive?

Started by
87 comments, last by Timkin 18 years, 2 months ago
First: how do you define "alive"? If you have a good definition for "alive" then you have the answer to your initial question.

Second: do you believe in free will? If so, where does it come from? And how would you formulate an experiment to distinguish free will from a random process? Your notion of "soul" might be a start, but the philosophers over thousands of years have postulated several rather more intricate theories that you probably want to read up on before continuing down this path.

OH... MY... GOD! There might be a use for philosophy in Computer Science!? What is the world coming to!!1!one? ;-)
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by aphydx
right. i meant a complete representation

And there's the mistake: assuming that comprehension requires representation. Consider: I comprehend my car's internal combustion engine, despite the fact that I do not know the exact configurations of the atoms which comprise it, or even how many atoms there are in it.
I don't know. This whole thing is very confusing and I agree with the authors prognosis that 'something weird' is definately going on around here :).

Just throwing this on the table, because I have been thinking this topic over for a number of years also. I was reading in a Popular science magazine talking about teleportation. In the article it happened to mention a conference held by a lot of big companies like IBM, Intel, Sony, etc., a few years back. The conference was discussing the feasability of quantam mechanics and teleportation on the scale of teleporting humans. Well they wrote a paper and in it said that for something to be teleported, the Original must be destroyed(ie. Kill that person.) Now think about that. They scan all of the particles in your body (and keep in mind this was just high-level 'what-ifs' to say. They dont know how to actually do that, they are just saying), they transmit the particle information via communication lines, and then they destroy the original and reproduce the particles on the other end.

Now still bearing with me that this is all just a hypothetical situation just think about what that means. Your all talking about having a ghost. So if we do in fact have a ghost, when they destroy your original, does your ghost go with it? When they duplicate your original, will it be 'you'. Do you understand why this scenario is so perplexing?

So several things to say here going along with the author... if nr 1 is true and we were created by a higher being... then I don't even know what would happen when they recreated you. You would probably just be the equivilant of dead.

If nr 2 was true, then your body would create a ghost itself, since the brain is able to hold a ghost. Now think about this: would that new "ghost" be "you" or would you still be destroyed and some other ghost is running around with your body.

Now if nr 3 was true I would imagine the same thing such as nr 2 would happen, but for a different reason.

I guess this just brings a new element to the table, when taken into a scenario like this, not only the question "what is life", but the question "what is death"

If that was too ridiculously confusing/stupid, im sorry I'm ranting and its late :)
Quote:Original post by neonicI was reading in a Popular science magazine talking about teleportation... Original must be destroyed(ie. Kill that person.)

I read PopSci quite religiously and I don't recall anything on murderous teleporters. I believe there was a mention on a way in which the properties of some particles may be instantly transmitted to a another set of particles. Although, I do not interpret "properties of particles" as teleportation, definately not in the Star Trek sense.
Programming since 1995.
When my car is not functioning correctly I may say that it is "being stubborn" and perhaps a few other things that I won't repeat. This anthropomorphism is a way for me to cope with the fact that the machine is very complicated and I don't understand it. Perhaps this is all personality, and by extension, "ghost" is, we take what we know of our own emotions, and actions in certain situations, and then project it onto other people or things, then we check their actions against this model and determine how closely it fits. More similar and it's more human, less similar and it's more mechanistic or foreign, and it triggers more anxiety because of this. A mad-dog killer, or worse yet, his lawyer, may be accused of having no soul simply because their actions are so foreign and beyond what our model of a human being is capable of. If a person can identify with a machine I think that they will accept it as human, or at least a decent substitute. You already see this with people who have irrational attachments to inanimate objects, a good AI would just make these feelings more mainstream.

As for life, this is a tricky question, traditionally the battle lines have been drawn around the subject of whether or not a virus is alive since it depends on a host to reproduce. The problem I see is that if you say viruses aren't truly alive then you can say that all men are dead since they depend on women to reproduce. (I know you're all programmers but trust me, I read it in a book so it must be true) So my guess would be any thing capable of creating a copy of itself (by any means) would be a good candidate for being alive. This seems to preclude sterile animals from being alive, but consider the fact that at the cellular level they're reproducing like crazy, skin cells, bacteria in the intestines, muscles, the whole deal.
"Think you Disco Duck, think!" Professor Farnsworth
Quote:Original post by M2tM
"When does an algorithm turn alive"

Let me just say that the title itself is poorly worded and the arguments within are not entirely well stated. Others have pointed out things with regard to that statement so I won't repeat them.

Perhaps:
"When does an algorithm live?"
or
"When is an algorithm alive?"
or even:
"When does an algorithm become alive?"

Because "turn alive" just sounds silly. My apologies if you feel offended, I'm really just trying to make a suggestion that might help set a more serious tone.

Oh, thank you for that notion! I still make errors in english language, and i fear I lose lots of credibility when I can't even express myself properly. Thanks for correcting me. I will change the title.
----------------------~NQ - semi-pro graphical artist and hobbyist programmer
Quote:Original post by darookie
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
Quote:Original post by aphydx
the central creative core of your mind cannot comprehend something as complex as itself.
Prove it.

Good one [smile]

I was just going to say the same... :)
Uhh...Isn't a more likely option to the whole internet seemingly alive, france being alive thing the fact that both happen to be in large part run by humans that are alive? I mean, ...meh.

Ok, focus on the france thing. It acts like a living entity because it's run by living entities. Doesn't that make more sense than trying to pretend that france itself is a living entity? Your entire thought experiment attempts to grapple the idea of seperating acts like an entity and is an entity, but somehow manages to miss acts like entity because it's run by entity.

Meh, again.

I apologize for the incoherence, but I think my general thought is there.
if(this.post == SATISFYING){money.send(1.00,&HemoGloben);return thanks;}
Quote:Original post by TheBigJ
I only skimmed over your actual article, as I'm reading this from work, so ignore me if I draw the same conclusions as you have. You would benefit by including an abstract introduction/conclusion clearly stating your answer to the question raised.

Quote:When does an algorithm turn alive

I'm going to rephrase your question:

"When does the complexity and/or sophistication of an algorithm become sufficent so as to be considered alive?"

I suggest that this question is misleading.

Well... perhaps I did something silly, but I put that title not as a summary of the entire text, but as something to attract readers. I've already been informed that it displays improper English, so I'll change it anyway. Your rephrasing of my initial question is highly correct. But how many would have read my text if I had called it that? The idea to read it would seem like something utterly boring, wouldn't it? I wouldn't have gotten this much lovely feedback if I hadn't put something profound in the title. It's main purpose was to be profound, not to summarize or prove anything.

Quote:Life, or consciousness (which is what we're really discussing here) should, IMHO, not be considered in terms of a binary distinction; things are not merely conscious or unconscious. Rather, consciousness should be defined as a spectrum. Ants at one end, Humans at the other. The more complex the algorithm, the better it performs, the higher on the scale it goes.

[snip]

My text is merely a summary of the presently possible ways to interpret things, and would you have read all of it you would have seen that... not only do I not limit myself to the phrasing 'life' or 'consciousness', but I also talk about exactly what you said. At least I hope I did, if not then my English sucks worse than I thought. We cannot agree even what life is or what consciousness is, so I choose to skip that whole debate by not using either phrasing.

I see now that I made a mistake in starting to use the titillation 'life' in my last section, which easily could make people misinterpret how I mean the word. I did so because it was no longer valid to use the titillation 'ghost' since the premise what that ghosts doesn't exist. I should rethink that part, and write it in a way which doesn't use the word 'life'. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Quote:The Philosophy of Mind is a debate that has been going on forever, but in my opinion, if you hold that there is no "ghost in the shell", then it makes no sense to start talking about consciousness as a binary distinction.

Oh, I'm starting to think my style of writing trips some people over. Perhaps I should write it differently...
The thing is I do not hold that there is no 'ghost in the shell'!
Since I present arguments from both sides, the common reader obviously misinterprets this and reads it as I represent one side or the other. I present the consciousness as a binary distinction compared to consciousness as a relative distinction. And several other ideas! Side by side.
Quote:Original post by HemoGloben
Uhh...Isn't a more likely option to the whole internet seemingly alive, france being alive thing the fact that both happen to be in large part run by humans that are alive? I mean, ...meh.

Ok, focus on the france thing. It acts like a living entity because it's run by living entities. Doesn't that make more sense than trying to pretend that france itself is a living entity? Your entire thought experiment attempts to grapple the idea of seperating acts like an entity and is an entity, but somehow manages to miss acts like entity because it's run by entity.

Meh, again.

I apologize for the incoherence, but I think my general thought is there.

Seems a little weak. Are you saying that things cannot be alive unless they are comprised of parts which are alive? That seems to break down. Carbon and hydrogen atoms can't really be said to be alive. Concurrently, humans display much more capability for adaptation and intelligence than the cells of which they are composed. They can, by some measure of "alive", be said to be MORE alive than those cells: they display traits above those which the cells themselves can "run".

Also, who's this Meh person?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement