Tired of Slackware good distro?

Started by
16 comments, last by krum 18 years, 3 months ago
Ive been using Slackware since the release of version 10, but got tired of it. Why? 10.2 isn't very stable for me (memory leaks to be more precise) and I can't understand why Slackware people don't like dependency-checking package managers like for example APT. So what distro to use? Not Gentoo (tried it but didn't like it because of all compiling). Ubuntu's auto-hardware-configure is nice but besides that I don't really like Ubuntu (long story). So I think Debian would be great for me. It has a binary package system and a "I'll get out of your way" philosophy. I can just install the stable version (called Sarge right? ) and then add stuff like an Xorg server with XComposite et.c.? Sounds like a plan?
Advertisement
Debian is always a good choice.
Free Mac Mini (I know, I'm a tool)
Quote:Original post by BBB
I can't understand why Slackware people don't like dependency-checking package managers like for example APT.

I personally like to know which are the dependencies before downloading a software. If I don't like some of them I might decide not to install it at all.

If I wanted to ignore what's getting installed in my OS I would just use MS Windows(R).
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
I've used Debian for about 3 years now, and I highly recommend it. My previous distro was also slackware, and I switched for want of better package management (with dependency handling). Since then I've found I like Debian for other things, too (the community, the strictly-free-software ethic, and the huge selection of packages that work well together).

You can install the stable version, but generally speaking, testing and even unstable work well most of the time. Unstable may have quirks sometimes after upgrading, but they usually get fixed within a day or two (by upgrading again) - after a certain period of time without problems, packages will be moved to testing, and after a long time, they will eventually be moved to stable.

I'd try at least testing, or maybe even unstable (I use unstable right now as my main desktop) unless you're on a mission-critical sort of computer that must never go down, or you really don't like messing around with your system, and don't mind being a few versions behind.
Quote:Original post by owl
I can't understand why Slackware people don't like dependency-checking package managers like for example APT.

I personally like to know which are the dependencies before downloading a software. If I don't like some of them I might decide not to install it at all.

If I wanted to ignore what's getting installed in my OS I would just use MS Windows(R).

Most package managers tell you what dependencies must be installed. I'm pretty sure apt does this, I know portage does this.
Quote:Original post by mhamlin
Quote:Original post by owl

Most package managers tell you what dependencies must be installed. I'm pretty sure apt does this, I know portage does this.

That's probably not the point he was trying to make. As a slackware user, it's nice having control over exactly what gets installed on your computer when.
I personally love SUSE. Ive also used mandrake in the past.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
Once you get past the tedious installation of Gentoo, it's a blast. :)
Quote:Original post by bytecoder
That's probably not the point he was trying to make. As a slackware user, it's nice having control over exactly what gets installed on your computer when.

Debian and variants tell you exactly which dependencies are going to be installed, and give you a chance to abort before they install any of them.
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
Quote:Original post by bytecoder

Debian and variants tell you exactly which dependencies are going to be installed, and give you a chance to abort before they install any of them.

I never used Debian. Does it let you configure the build of everything before you install?
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement