• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Will F

std::transform and C style arrays

This topic is 4584 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

A few questions. 1) Is it ok to use a C style array with std::transform? The following code works for me, but I wanted to make sure it's not a case where it just happens to work with my compiler, but will break with a different C++ implementation.
// m_Data is defined float m_Data[9]

CMatrix3x3& CMatrix3x3::operator+=(const CMatrix3x3 &rhs)
{
  for (int i = 0; i < 9; ++i)
    m_Data += rhs.m_Data;

return *this;
}

{
  std::transform (rhs.m_Data, rhs.m_Data + 9, m_Data, m_Data, std::plus<float>() );

return *this;
}
2) Is there any reason I should prefer either of the 2 implementations above? 3) Should I be using a std::vector or is a 3x3 matrix a case where a C style array is acceptable?

Advertisement
Both should work just fine, but in this case, I think the C-like version is more readable (and more reasonable), since it such a simple mathematical concept. Still, in Release mode, this should compile to the exact same code.

Edit: fixed typo.

[Edited by - Kippesoep on December 29, 2005 1:27:40 PM]

Quote:
Original post by Kippesoep
Both should work just fine, but in this case, I think the C-like version is more readable (and more reasonable), since it such a simple mathemetical concept. Still, in Release mode, this should compile to the exact same code.

Agreed.

OP:

@1: The iterator concept is very intentionally modeled (in terms of physical syntax at least) on pointers, so that you can do just that very kind of thing.

@2: I would prefer the former for readability in this case.

@3: A C style array is quite acceptable here - no need for the dynamic allocation (and increased pagefaults) associated with std::vector since the size is fixed. If you want something more "SC++L-like", there's Boost.Array, which would allow you to write your code like this:

// m_Data is defined as boost::array< float , 9 > m_Data;

{
std::transform (rhs.m_Data.begin(), rhs.m_Data.end(), m_Data.begin(), m_Data.begin(), std::plus<float>() );

return *this;
}

The first snippet would also still work (as you can see, boost::array implements operator[], along with all those other goodies)

Quote:
Original post by MaulingMonkey
@2: I would prefer the former for readability in this case.

That's pretty much how I feel, just wanted to make sure the examples above were essentially equivalent - and that I wouldn't be doing anything horribly wrong by plugging a C style array into std::transform.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!