How to start

Started by
60 comments, last by Pharaoh12 18 years, 3 months ago
Well, Ive been all over the net looking for help with this. I have no idea how to start my way into the Game Designign career. Where do i start. What classes do i take? I dont know C++ or any other language. Should I start there or do i start with Direct X. I dont even how to get a compiler, or use it!What do i do??
Advertisement
Well, first of all, do you want to be a game designer or a game programmer?
Programmer does the coding right?
So should i start to learn C++ or is there something I should know before that?
""So should i start to learn C++ or is there something I should know before that?""

I think your going to want to know the answer to Roboguy's question. I've heard some designers have to know very little about programming to succeed...but im not very knowledgeable on the subject.
Disclaimer: C++ and programming newbie
Yes, the programmer does the coding.

Quote:Original post by Pharaoh12
So should i start to learn C++ or is there something I should know before that?

Well, if you want to be a programmer, I would recommend Python. Also, you don't have to "move up to C++," many other languages (such as Python) work just fine by themselves.
Alright, ill try and see if Python is easy enough for me but i dont even understand coding yet.Where can I learn?
Alright, ill try and see if Python is easy enough for me but i dont even understand coding yet.Where can I learn?
http://honors.montana.edu/~jjc/easytut/easytut/

This seems like a good starting tutorial for someone who's never written code before. 'Course there are lots of other tutorials out there; try searching Google for Python tutorials and find one you like a lot if that one doens't suit you.
It only takes one mistake to wake up dead the next morning.
alright, thanks a lot.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement