How to start

Started by
60 comments, last by Pharaoh12 18 years, 3 months ago
I'd suggest you could work thru this free online python book to at least chapter 6 (loops) then go download pygame and make a space invaders clone. Once you've done that you'll have a solid grounding on what's going on.

Good luck, this is a fascinating hobby/job/whatever.....
------------------<a href="http://jsgc.sourceforge.net>jsgc
Advertisement
Thanks so much, Jsgcdude. That walkthrough is the best ive ever seen. But i still dont understand how to write a script? In the last part of chp. 2.5, he writes a script that i dont know how to type on the command line?How do you separate statments is what im trying to say?
Quote:Original post by Pharaoh12
Thanks so much, Jsgcdude. That walkthrough is the best ive ever seen. But i still dont understand how to write a script? In the last part of chp. 2.5, he writes a script that i dont know how to type on the command line?How do you separate statments is what im trying to say?

You can create a script by opening up a plain text editor, such as Notepad, typing in your commands and then saving the file as "myfile.py". You'll see the output of all your statements if you:
1) Run your script from the command line by typing myfile.py or maybe python "myfile.py" (if the former doesn't work) when you're in the script's directory.
or
2) Add the line raw_input() to the end of your Python script; then you can double-click your new Python file and it will wait to close until you hit enter.

If you're not familiar with an OS shell/command-line interface, you really ought to if you'd like to be a programmer. I'm not sure how much you already know but you can access a Windows commandline by clicking Start -> Run -> "cmd". If you type "help" you'll receive a list of commands. If you want more help with a command, you can type "help command". Good luck! Let us know if/when you run in to trouble.

Google is your friend.
It only takes one mistake to wake up dead the next morning.
Quote:Original post by Roboguy
Well, if you want to be a programmer, I would recommend Python. Also, you don't have to "move up to C++," many other languages (such as Python) work just fine by themselves.

Any particular reason why you're recommending Python over C++ as a career in game programming?
Can anyone post some info on what it takes to be a producer or designer. Pharaoh12 pm'd me about it and i dont have the answer, so i thought someone might be able to shed some light on it for him?
Disclaimer: C++ and programming newbie
Quote:Original post by Grafalgar
Well, if you want to be a programmer, I would recommend Python. Also, you don't have to "move up to C++," many other languages (such as Python) work just fine by themselves.

Any particular reason why you're recommending Python over C++ as a career in game programming?

I never said that. I said that Python works fine by itself, not that it will get you a job in game programming. If you want to get a job game programming, and you don't want to start your own business, then you should eventually learn C++.
I want to thank everyone here but I never pm'd anyone so please dont spread lies around about me.Thanks, i finally understand my first step into programming :)!
Quote:Original post by Grafalgar

I'd add that in this thread pretty much the entire gamedev.net community agreed that c++ is overused in amateur gamedev. The o.p. doesn't even know a language yet, so imo that qualifies as 'amateur'. And once you learn one language, other languages are easier.

Besides, how much longer will c++ remain the primary language in professional game developement? Is it even now? Or is c++ used by engine developers while everyone else uses whatever scripting language (python?) the engine uses? These are rhetorical questions by the way....
------------------<a href="http://jsgc.sourceforge.net>jsgc
Quote:Original post by jsgcdude
I'd add that in this thread pretty much the entire gamedev.net community agreed that c++ is overused in amateur gamedev. The o.p. doesn't even know a language yet, so imo that qualifies as 'amateur'. And once you learn one language, other languages are easier.

Besides, how much longer will c++ remain the primary language in professional game developement? Is it even now? Or is c++ used by engine developers while everyone else uses whatever scripting language (python?) the engine uses? These are rhetorical questions by the way....

In amateur game dev, yes. Use whatever you feel like using, whatever will get you there fastest. I define that as a hobbyist, someone that doesn't necessarily want to become a professional, but just wants to make cool little games in his/her spare time.

Since Pharaoh asked about a career I would imagine his goals stretch further than the amateur. For that reason, I would recommend a language that's still WIDELY used in games: C/C++.

You are correct, most professional game devs write the engine in C/C++ and as much game logic as possible in scripts. However, if you think you'll make it in the industry as a programmer not knowing any C/C++, you'll be in for some hard times.

Btw, to answer your 'rhetorical questions' (which aren't really rhetorical, btw), go look at the gamasutra job postings for programmers. Tell me what you find ;)
You both are right.I am an amateur therefore Python is what Im going to start with since it is extremely easier than C++. When im done with python I should and will go onto C++. What kind of languages to real Game Programmers use?Is it C++?

-Thank You everyone for your help.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement