• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
waterwalk

Confusing copy operation in C++

This topic is 4608 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, everyone. After reading some c++ text, I wrote some fragments of code to see if I really understand them. I found that I was confused by the following:
class CBase
{
public:
	CBase& operator=(CBase& c)
	{
		printf("CBase::= called\n");
		return *this;
	}
};

class CDerive : public CBase
{
};

int main()
{
	CBase c1, c2;
	CDerive d1, d2;

c1 = c2;        //ok
	c1 = d1;	//ok
	d1 = d2;	//ok, call CBase's operator=
	d1 = c1;	//error, why?
	system("Pause");
	return 0;
}

I can understand why "c1=c2" and "c1=d1" are correct. But I don't know since "d1=d2" is acceptable and their base class's operator= can be called, why "d1=c1" doesn't work. Yes, i know this is something programmers should avoid, but I just want to know the reason behind it. Any ideas?

Advertisement
CDerive gets its own, compiler-generated assignment operator regardless of whether CBase has a custom one or not. If you want d1=c1 to work, you will have to give CDerive a custom assignment operator that accepts a CBase parameter. As you point out, since a CBase is not a CDerive, you will have to work out what such an assignment means by yourself.

Note - assignment parameters are generally taken by const reference, unless you plan on modifying the original object, e.g. like std::auto_ptr does.

Well, If CDerive's operator= is really irrelevant to CBase's, as etothex and Fruny pointed out, why in d1=d2, CBase's operator= is called? This is the problem that haunts me...

Quote:
Original post by waterwalk
Well, If CDerive's operator= is really irrelevant to CBase's, as etothex and Fruny pointed out, why in d1=d2, CBase's operator= is called? This is the problem that haunts me...

Because the compiler-generated CDerive::operator= will call CBase::operator= to assign the CBase part of the CDerive object.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!