• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Noob_Gamemaker

OpenGL How do you make characters, coordinate system

This topic is 4583 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

- How do you make characters in-game mostly. By use of primitives to build a model or import a model from some 3d format?? - Is there some way to change OpenGL coordinate system? Because -1.0 to 1.0 is strange for me and hard to use. It would be easier e.g instead of -1.0 to 1.0 to be 0 to 200 or something.. thanks

Advertisement
1. The easiest would be to create models in a 3D modeling program and then import them in your game

2. If you mean working with pixels instead of world coordinates: it is possible with using orthographic views - which limits you to working in 2D

I'd advise you to visit http://nehe.gamedev.net and read through the tutorials there - very help- and insightful

I think I know what you are asking, but could you paste some code as well. You are not limited from 0 to 1 as you think. The 0 to 1 restriction is used for the screen, and even that is changed to something more manageable once you set up a frustum.

Quote:
Original post by Noob_Gamemaker
What I meant is to change the scale or something translate so I don't have to mess with low numbers like 0.001.

You're looking for glScale.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!