• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Wavarian

Managing multiple projects under Visual Studio

This topic is 4584 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Greets guys, I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with working with more than one project using Microsoft Visual Studio (v. 2003+), and could offer any advice about what pitfalls to look out for and the like. At the moment, I've been developing some utility classes for my game in the form of an SDK. Because some are templated, a static library is unfortunately not an option. Such classes include: Window, Vector, PackFile, Texture etc. I'd really like to keep the classes completely separate from my game classes (the game can use the SDK classes, but not vice versa).. Could setting up a new project to manage my SDK files be the answer? Is that its purpose? What I'm doing now is simply placing files in their respective folders on disk, but come time to start a new game project, I'd have to copy the SDK folder to the new game's folder, which seems a little akward to me. Folder structure:
-P02
	P04.ncb
	P04.sln
	P04.vcproj

+Debug

-Source
		-GAME
			Main.cpp

-SDK
			Window.cpp
			Window.h
			Vector.inl
			Vector.h
Any advice?

Advertisement
Two changes I would make:
  1. Get rid of the Source folder and put GAME and SDK directly in the P04 folder.
  2. Move the P04.vcproj to the GAME folder. The SDK.vcproj will go in the SDK folder
Your files will look like this:
    P04
P04.sln
GAME
GAME.vcproj
GAME files
SDK
SDK.vcproj
SDK files

You might also do it like this (this is what Visual Studio prefers):
    P04
P04.sln
P04.vcproj
main.cpp
SDK
SDK.vcproj
SDK files
For projects that are shared by other solutions, this is how I do it:
    P04
P04.sln
P04.vcproj
main.cpp
Libraries
SDK
SDK.vcproj
SDK files

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!