• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Your preferred character gender

This topic is 4403 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok not trying to be sexist here, but what's your preferred gender while creating your character in a game? And why? And please state your gender if you want, thanks. As a dude, I tend to pick females, since its more fun playing as a female, you know, sex appeal.

Advertisement
I don't mind either way, so long as there's either no difference between the two (just aesthetics) or both paths are just as fun. In Legend of Mana you chose at the beginning of the game whether to be male or female; there was no statistical difference but I believe there was some changes in dialogue and possibly a few quests.

Not sure why I just thought of this (maybe thinking of the main characters), but that game had some amazing amazing artwork.

I don't really mind. I tend to think males since it's the major sex used when making games. But sometimes the anti-chara is female...:)

Normally I'll play through as a male first, and then I'll replay as a female. I often do the same with good/evil. I am a bloke.

In Jade Empire, the male characters are fairly well modelled, but the females (or at least one of them) have draping clothing that moves oh so sweetly. Major eye candy on the flowing robes thing. And hair. The male models are boring to play by comparison - visually. No hair, boring clothes, males were boring.

For an mmorpg, I always play male because that's my gender and I want as much empathy with my character as I can get. But... I've noticed that other players are nicer to female PCs, so I'm sure quite a few guys choose female alts.

I always go for a female character - they can look pretty cool when all decked out with the best armour and weapons (at least my morrowind fighter is!) and.....I'm female :)

I'd play as whatever character is given to me. More important than the gender is the emotional link, at least for me. I prefer story-based singleplayer games bytheway, hence my emphasis on the emotional link. I want to play a character that I can understand somewhat, someone who reacts believable to me. If I'd be given the choice, I would choose a character that looks cool or that appeals most to me, emotionally or by look or background story, whatever is provided. No real preference for gender specifically.

I'm not sure I have a real preference either way. It does depend a lot on the game however.

If there's a difference in ability between characters, such as with a fighting game, then I'll pick the character with the moves I like the best regardless of gender.

If there's slight difference in story between characters, such as romance in RPGs, I'll usually pick the male character first; partly because I'm a guy, but mostly because I'm still affected from Anomen being the only romancable male NPC in Baldur's Gate II (the single reason I never play as a female PC in BG2 [smile]; that guy was really unlikeable). However I'll often replay the game as the other gender.

If there's little difference between the genders, such with a lot of RPGs, then I often just flip a coin to decide the gender. However I'll often disqualify playing as a character due to aesthetic reasons; for example, the male humans in Neverwinter Nights are all musclemen, and I don't particularly like that look for my PCs (especially if I play as an agile character). However the female elves in NWN just wrong to me; there's no single head model that I like. Therefore if I play as a human I'll always pick a woman, and if I play as an elf I'll always pick a man.

I'm male and I play male more often for online games (less harassment and don't feel like I'm trying to fool anyone), Female more often in 3D action games (they are just so much more visually apealling, both sexually and just aestetically), and whichever I come up with a cool name for first in any kind of role playing game ... cause in role playing games I make a unique name for every character I create, so it depends on what the fates decide / what I'm feeling the day I make the char.

male for the win

yes i know this is WRONG, but whenever i see a female character i assume that 1 its not a girl, and a VERY VERY WEIRD GUY.

the reason for me thinking this is because there are so many damn girl characters i have heard of that are played by men who always flirt with guys in the game to get their way. another reason is because i have also heard of girl chracters (played by men), who marry male characters (played by men). WTF? of course the male character didnt know the female was a male till after hahah.

but when i know the character is indeed a female, theres nothing to it, just a girl... cool.

anyway, ill stick to my gender.

Am I the only one here that likes to play as a man with boobs?

That being said, my thoughts on the matter are that you are targetting 2 major types of people here (this is not including MMORPGs which add some more types). The first plays the correct gender, to build as some mentioned, empethy to its charactor. These people like that connection, they like to see themselves as the particular charactor. The other type thinks "outside the box", they enjoy doing things in a game that they cannot do in reality. They play games to escape reality, where the former plays games to mimic or twist reality. It would be interesting to test this hypothosis as it would make it possiable to exploit market segments better, if anyone wants to do this that is.

Well Im not sure about the escape reality part, but for me, I play games to relax. And staring at a female butt is pretty relaxing =).

But I guess gender doesn really affect (games like DOA series, Rumble Roses that abuses sex appeal are exceptions) the buyer. Right?

Quote:
Original post by PaulCesar
Am I the only one here that likes to play as a man with boobs?

That was you? [grin]

To me, gender doesn't matter as much as how cool they look. For example, there are so cool looking girls in UT2k3, but none can match with some of the robots and Malcom, so I play as them. However, in rgp games where gender is specific to a different class, such as Diablo 2, I'd play the females if they are good, such as the Amazon and Sorc(but not the Assassin). In other games where you get one class, and the male/female has no effect upon your character, Baulders Gate 2, then I'd tend to play as male.

Bishounen (feminine male) for a character I identify with, or a strong female character for sex appeal... and this is even weirder when you consider that I'm female.

But anyway, you straight guys who will play as girls, given the choice... assuming a romance element in a game, would you (have your character) go for a guy, or a girl? I'm currently thinking about a game design with a choice of PC gender and a handful of "romanceable" NPCs, so this isn't entirely idle curiosity.

I lean toward female characters because they seem to look better overall or have more options.

However, it also depends on what role the character is playing. If it is a rogue -type character, then I typically select females. For fighter characters, I usually opt for males. Spellcasters, it depends... the heavily offensive or defensive/support are females mostly, while the more balanced ones are males.

edit:
Why does it even matter? I think the problem lies with people substituting reality with a game world. Yes, I know people who play only males and are males themselves that think it is strange to play a female character... But what about DiabloII? You didn't have an option if you wanted to play a certain class. What about Metroid? You certainly didn't have a choice.

I suppose it goes into the social interaction of MMOGs. When a person is playing a MMOG for the social aspect, they focus far too strongly on percieved notions -- such as that hot chick being a real woman, rather than simply a character in a game. I could see where the problems arise when players try to flirt with others when the only reason to do so would be the character visuals.

I myself dealt with someone who pretended to be a girl for well over a year, going so far as to present false pictures and soforth (which, truthfully, I didn't ask for anyway). So the situation hits a little close in some regards. But that wasn't solely in a single game, it was a friendship over ICQ/IRC and various games that I broke due to that constant lie. It's not like I ever flirted or anything with this person, it was simply a friendship.

To put it simply, I honestly don't understand how people can be intimate over the internet.

As for people who never found out (like I did) that they were dealing with someone misrepresenting themselves... so what? They must have recieved some intangible gratification from participating with the roleplayer, and probably the person pretending gained something as well. Does it really matter in the long run?

-Greven

I only play as female characters in fighting games, since those usually have the faster moves (I hate slow fighting game characters). When I create a character however I almost always go for male. Although in NWN I made a few female characters try out some different avatars and see if I could make an different and still interesting character. One was a Sourcerer Red Dragon Disciple and she was ok. The other was a Barbarian dual axe weilding Weapon Master by the name of Helena Wyvern. I liked that character.

Anyway, I would never do that with an online character. Online, I am male and male only. Plus people often act perverted over female characters online, I would not want to deal with that.

Quote:
Original post by T1Oracle
Anyway, I would never do that with an online character. Online, I am male and male only. Plus people often act perverted over female characters online, I would not want to deal with that.

Yes, but while they're flirting, they're not killing you. Think about it. [smile]

Games where the gender is just a toggle of your character model and nothing more, I will pretty much always pick male.

Games where gender of your avatar affects (effects? its late, and I'm wondering which is corret. Oh well) gameplay (females get X bonus, males get Y. Some class is always female. Playing male amazon warrior would just be odd,...) I will play which gender offers the gameplay I feel like trying out.

Female avatars don't bother me, but when online, assume everyone is a guy till you hear clear voice chat/webcam. Things are safer that way for any guys that choose to think of things with people online that go past just common friends :P

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:

the reason for me thinking this is because there are so many damn girl characters i have heard of that are played by men who always flirt with guys in the game to get their way. another reason is because i have also heard of girl chracters (played by men), who marry male characters (played by men). WTF? of course the male character didnt know the female was a male till after hahah.

I have been playing MMORPG's for years. Most of the time, I play at least one male and one female character. In all those years I have met only a very few people who used their own characters gender as a means to get more attention, IG Money or other advantages. As a player of a female character, I have witnessed every third or fourth player trying to flirt with me and even trying to extend this to the real life. I had guys propose to my ingame character without even knowing me for more than 5 minutes. I had guys calling me all kind of names and I had more than just a few incidents with guys who suggested I'd suck various bodyparts or have sex with them ingame or better yet IRL. I have never been called a bitch or whore or had people openly suggesting sexual practices to my male character. This leads me to believe that the perverts are indeed not those who play something else than their original gender, but those people ( men only ) that think that all female characters in a game are played by real female persons just waiting to be their willing sex toys. You want to know why so few women play MMORPG's ? Get out and try to be one for a day.

I'm male and I enjoy MMO games. But I wouldn't want my mother or sister or girlfriend to play a female character in the game I play. They'd think I spend my time with perverts. Maybe they are right.

Quote:
Original post by T1Oracle
I only play as female characters in fighting games, since those usually have the faster moves (I hate slow fighting game characters).

i always tend to pick fast over tough (in many styles of games) and in many games female characters often do have this advantage.

Quote:
When I create a character however I almost always go for male.

same here, unless there is a difference between them( in terms of gameplay ), in which case i have to make a decision.

but i dont really care, the gender of the character is not something that particularly bothers me...

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
This leads me to believe that the perverts are indeed not those who play something else than their original gender, but those people ( men only ) that think that all female characters in a game are played by real female persons just waiting to be their willing sex toys. You want to know why so few women play MMORPG's ? Get out and try to be one for a day.

So very true... though I suspect a lot of women are playing as male characters to avoid these sorts of problems.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement