• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

How Big is Big?

This topic is 4434 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wondering how big in DX 3D units is an average video game character? Im coding a MMOG server and the near messages are supposed to be sent before the far so how far is near and how far is far? in units of course.

Advertisement
If an 'unit' equals X meters in the real world, then an average character is between 1.4 * X and 1.9 * X 'units' high. But you have to decide what the value of X is — there is no universal answer, only your choice matters.

That depends entirely up to you. Some games use 1 unit is equal to 1 meter, some games use 1 unit is equal to 1 decimeter.

Like the previous posters said, Direct3D units have no set size. It is really entirely up to you to make "assign" a size to them. You have to keep in mind though, you don't want anything too strange because you only have so much room between your near and far planes to work with. Personally I use a 1 unit to 1 meter ratio.

Quote:
Original post by Tocs1001
sry I forgot to say 3D DX units...

That's completely irrelevant. Units are API agnostic. You need to consider a number of factors to find the optimal unit setup.
Keep in mind that the depth buffer is limited to a precision of 24 bits. This means that the range is either large with a very small precision or rather small with with a high precision.

HTH,
Pat.

Quote:
Original post by Tocs1001
Keyword here was avarage most was helpful thx...

Since I doubt anybody's done a study of video games suming and averaging the different number of units characters end up as, and you seem to be still wondering (I can't quite tell since your sentance dosn't quite adhere to english grammar) about this magical average which nobody knows (there's thousands of games, and I'm pretty sure nobody's gotten access to the source of even 1/5th at a time - so it'd be kind of hard to create an actual average) I'll invent the bullstat of 2.

Disclaimer: bullstats are about as likely to be accurate as you are likely to be run over by a rampaging bull, statistically - hence the term.

On average, a distance of 1.0 is equal to 28.554 inches, or 0.725 meters.

(This statistic may or may not be invented)

In QuakeIII (and by extension, games based off this engine) the player's bounding box is exactly 56 units tall, with 32 units appearing to be about a meter in game. In the aging game Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight, the player is about .3 units tall, and Kyle Katarn is supposed to be six two. Therefore, I will conclude that the average used in video games is 17.5 units to a meter. This is an average, it is not a bullstat; therefore it must be correct. All games use 17.5 units to a meter.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement