tutorials

Started by
7 comments, last by bschneid 18 years, 3 months ago
Does anyone know where I could download free video tutorials on c/c++?
Advertisement
To be perfectly honest, I really don't think video tutorials on a programming language are helpful at all. They provide absolutely no added value over a good book or a programming class.

Sorry to disappoint you, but there is no "lazy way" of getting into C/C++ programming. If you want to learn programming, start with a beginner-friendly language like Python, Pascal or Ruby to name a few.

Once you got a basic understanding of how programming languages work, it will be much easier to pick up a more low level (C) or complex (C++) language.

Good luck!
Pat.
Alright, that helps. I have a decent knowledge of VB... and the beginnings of C.
But Im still the average beginner.... anyways thanks again.

I also asked about videos because im more of a visual learner. I learn better if something is shown to me (like a video).
C++ is almost always overkill for the types of games most people write with it, not to mention unpleasant to work with. Python is a great language to work with, and is very powerful. If you're just interested in game making and not really programming, I've heard good things about the *basics, e.g. blitzbasic. If you have a specific reason for using C++, you would probably be better off either reading a book or a few tutorials online; I can't imagine a video would be that helpful.

EDIT:
As it seems you already know VB, you probably don't need to learn another language. If you'd like to learn how to write games, there are a few ways to do it. You could go around and read tutorials and the forums. Another option would be to look at the source code of other games and figure out how they work. Writing simple games is also a good way to learn, and you can post here for help if you can't figure something out. Probably the best option is to try those out and see which one you like the best, or use a combination of the three.
Seek and ye shall find, or something like that. ;D
darookie: It's not about being lazy. Not everyone is a book learner, or an audio learner or a visual learner. We're all different. I've watched a quite a few videos and learned a lot from them. But a teacher is absolutely useless to me, unless I need someone to ask questions about as I read a book (I'm 100% self taught) but it could be anyone with more knowledge then me on the subject.

bytecoder: Learning a new language is always a good thing. Normally gives you other insights into the ones you already know. Or just expands a resume nicely :)

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

How would get to know how Python works?A book or someting?
If you already know how to program, I'd just go to Dive Into Python and go through that.
Well, I don't know of any video tutorials, but I do have one thing to say.

<rant> I realize that this is in the Beginners forum and that more "seasoned" programmers are trying to offer him advice, but if the guy asks for a video tutorial, you might want to at least address that question, rather than give him irrelevant answers about learning a different language.

I realize the intent is to point him in the right direction, but I've seen a lot of answers on these forums that don't even pertain to the question. </rant>

I would suggest watching some of those videos Pipo DeClown linked you to, but I wouldn't expect those to be 100% fulfilling. You almost definitely will want a book or at least online tutorials to complement them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement