Sign in to follow this  

Programming classes for those under 18

This topic is 4399 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I don't know if this is a dumb question or not. Is there any way that I could get programming classes at 13 years of age?

Most assuredly. Check out your local community college.

if not, remember you can still learn a lot from the internet and books. i know i did a computing course at about 15. might be different in the US but i needed a letter from my guidance teacher in order to do the course, so i expect you will need the same.

Umm... guidance teacher? See I don't know alot of the real world. I find internet good too, I just don't like books.

Yes there are many great articles and tutorials online, as well as many good books available.
As for schooling, many high schools have computer science courses. I'm taking one right now in Almost-Nowhere, Louisiana so you shouldn't have much trouble finding one near you.

Cheers and good hunting.

Yeah, I think I will do some online things now and in time(maybe a few months) do courses at ACTC. If you live in Ashland, KY you would know what that is.

Quote:
Original post by quagmire
Umm... guidance teacher?

councillor? woman/man you talk to about personal stuff and get classes about sex/drugs/rock n roll from? (well not the last one...but i couldnt resist the pun)

Dangit, sorry but those people I can't stand! I hae to go to them for doing drugs and threatening to kill myself multiple times, oh well.

I attended a small computer programming day camp a long while back which covered the basics of C++ along with a little introduction to DirectX. Look around in your local news paper and you'll probably find a camp like that in your area.

I took a class when I was 13 at a local college on visual basic and then started to do some c with books. As others have said see if you can look for camps at local colleges until you can register into a programming class with a stuctured/official cirriculum.

Hey, go here--> http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCSpy/ ,it teaches you to use Python. Python is another language like C++ but easier. You should start off with Python because its so much easier to understand than C++ or C.So download Python and go to through the website.

Pick up a freaking book, and then freaking read it.

I did it when I was 14, it's good for the brain. If you don't like books - my friend, you are already screwed.

Quote:
Original post by Sneftel
Most assuredly. Check out your local community college.

Yeah, do what Sneftel said I was in college around the age of 12 doing stuff.

Quote:
Original post by quagmire
Dangit, sorry but those people I can't stand! I hae to go to them for doing drugs and threatening to kill myself multiple times, oh well.

hmm!

Quote:
Original post by AfroFire
Pick up a freaking book, and then freaking read it.

I did it when I was 14, it's good for the brain. If you don't like books - my friend, you are already screwed.

Right! Lately, books aren't much "modern", but they still contain a lot of knowledge nicely bunched together into one place and usually served in quite comprehensible way. You are going to need to read if you want to ever learn something, so why not start with reading books? There are some free and non-free online books, if you don't like the dead-trees version, but it's still a book.

Of course, you can learn from various other sources, like tutorials or references, but tutorials are usually pretty basic and don't teach you much and references aren't good for learning from grounds up.

Yes, if you can find a teacher, or some course, it will be great, but you'll have to read anyways. Be prepared for this. Myself, I've never attended a course, but still managed to learn a lot from books and Internet and even forums and chats. It's all about reading, really. [smile]

Well reading is good and necessary, however a good course (for instance Computer Science I ..etc) will make ideas clearer.

A teacher CAN make an idea clearer, spending some time however with a book in your hands and the compiler primed and ready is a waaay better way to learn. It gives you experience and understanding simultaneously.

You can't beat learning on your own for understanding - sure its more difficult, but you truly master the art/language.

Guest Anonymous Poster
are the community collage courses expensive? if so is there a cheap way for a 14 year old with hardly any money to learn from no experiance with programing?

i know it says im anounymas but my name is tyler. i have trouble finding forum threads again so could you email me at tbone_999@hotmail.com

thankyou

I took 2 visual basic classes when I was 13, but I had to get scholarships for it so in general I'd say getting a class before high school might be difficult(unless you live in a big city or something). It is very possible to learn to program from the internet alone and it doesn't matter how old or educated you are. I started when I was 11 without knowing anything about programming, algebra, or even html and it wasn't impossible, and now (at 16) I have raytracers, physics engines, and GAs working on ANNs. Anyways, the only thing you really need to learn to program (or learn to do anything for that matter) is time. Not to say that books and classes aren't useful, but they aren't necessary.

try this site www.cprogramming.com
theres good C/C++/advanced programming/computer sciencee tutorials here :)

Sign in to follow this