Programming classes for those under 18

Started by
20 comments, last by Ksingh30 18 years, 3 months ago
I attended a small computer programming day camp a long while back which covered the basics of C++ along with a little introduction to DirectX. Look around in your local news paper and you'll probably find a camp like that in your area.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Advertisement
I took a class when I was 13 at a local college on visual basic and then started to do some c with books. As others have said see if you can look for camps at local colleges until you can register into a programming class with a stuctured/official cirriculum.
Hey, go here--> http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCSpy/ ,it teaches you to use Python. Python is another language like C++ but easier. You should start off with Python because its so much easier to understand than C++ or C.So download Python and go to through the website.
Pick up a freaking book, and then freaking read it.

I did it when I was 14, it's good for the brain. If you don't like books - my friend, you are already screwed.
AfroFire | Brin"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."-Albert Einstein
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
Most assuredly. Check out your local community college.

Yeah, do what Sneftel said I was in college around the age of 12 doing stuff.
- GDKnight
Quote:Original post by quagmire
Dangit, sorry but those people I can't stand! I hae to go to them for doing drugs and threatening to kill myself multiple times, oh well.

hmm!

Quote:Original post by AfroFire
Pick up a freaking book, and then freaking read it.

I did it when I was 14, it's good for the brain. If you don't like books - my friend, you are already screwed.

Right! Lately, books aren't much "modern", but they still contain a lot of knowledge nicely bunched together into one place and usually served in quite comprehensible way. You are going to need to read if you want to ever learn something, so why not start with reading books? There are some free and non-free online books, if you don't like the dead-trees version, but it's still a book.

Of course, you can learn from various other sources, like tutorials or references, but tutorials are usually pretty basic and don't teach you much and references aren't good for learning from grounds up.

Yes, if you can find a teacher, or some course, it will be great, but you'll have to read anyways. Be prepared for this. Myself, I've never attended a course, but still managed to learn a lot from books and Internet and even forums and chats. It's all about reading, really. [smile]
Well reading is good and necessary, however a good course (for instance Computer Science I ..etc) will make ideas clearer.
A teacher CAN make an idea clearer, spending some time however with a book in your hands and the compiler primed and ready is a waaay better way to learn. It gives you experience and understanding simultaneously.

You can't beat learning on your own for understanding - sure its more difficult, but you truly master the art/language.
AfroFire | Brin"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."-Albert Einstein
are the community collage courses expensive? if so is there a cheap way for a 14 year old with hardly any money to learn from no experiance with programing?

i know it says im anounymas but my name is tyler. i have trouble finding forum threads again so could you email me at tbone_999@hotmail.com

thankyou

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement