gift cards: what to buy with them?

Started by
1 comment, last by astralvoid 18 years, 3 months ago
Hey all, I recently got a bunch of gift cards for books. I want to get some game design books to add to my current meager collection and start learning to program games (again). Here is what I'm looking at -- I mainly just want some feedback as to whether these are a good choice or not. 1. Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0 by Frank D. Luna. 2. Game programming all-in-one (2nd edition) by J. Harbour. 3. Programming Role-Playing Games with DirectX (2nd edition) by Jim Adams. Here's the thing: I already have game programming all-in-one the FIRST edition, but I hear the 2nd edition is different (and better) by far, and worth the buy. I also hear its more towards my curent experience level (never made a game before) than the first one, since the first one tried to accomplish too much at once (wheras this one focuses on 2d game design with a library). Is this true? I ALSO have Programming RPGs with DX the first edition, but I havnt heard what is different in the 2nd edition and if it is worth the purchase. Opinions? Thanks guys; I'm really excited to get some of these books ASAP, but I dont want to waste money on crap thats way beyond me, or not worth buying, so your inpur is appreciated.
Deep Blue Wave - Brian's Dev Blog.
Advertisement
I've got Game Programming All in One, Second Edition. Never seen the first one, so I couldn't give an accurate comparison, but as far as I have heard there was a big C++ tutorial in it, and if focused on Win32 API (I think). The second one has no tutorial and it uses Allegro. So far I like the book, it's funny, quick, and easy to follow. Had to tinker with the example programs on the CD to get them to compile, but they all work. The book really isn't worth much, though unless you want to use Allegro, but if that's what you want to learn, get it.
______________________________Stranger things have happened...The Following Sentence is True. The Above Sentence is False.
I used my gift Cards to purchase: OpenGL SuperBible Even though I generally use a DirectX wrapper library, this book has helped me tremendously with Lighting and Texturing concepts. I would recommend it.

OpenGL SuperBible Third Edition ISBN: 0-672-32601-9

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement